The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can oscilloscope be used as a safety device?  (Read 7899 times)

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How can oscilloscope be used as a safety device?
« on: 10/06/2009 18:44:43 »
can any one please explain the workings of CRO oscilloscope as a safety device used in AC and DC circuits? ???
also what is the effectiveness of CRO oscilloscope as safety device?
I've searched all the google but couldn't find anything so if you guys can help me out about this or if you can send me some source of information. :o
« Last Edit: 11/06/2009 04:14:41 by chris »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How can oscilloscope be used as a safety device?
« Reply #1 on: 10/06/2009 18:57:00 »
A CRO isnít a safety device, oscilloscopes are used to visualise the electrical signals.

The only three letter acronym which comes to mind for an electrical safety device (which includes "C"&"R") is RCD.
« Last Edit: 10/06/2009 19:01:27 by RD »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/06/2009 19:00:52 »
I agree with RD; I can't think of any way you would use a CRO for this- apart from anything else CROs are fairly expensive; they are the sort of thing you want to protect.

lyner

« Reply #3 on: 10/06/2009 19:22:33 »
You could use it to prop open the emergency exit?

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/06/2009 19:35:00 »
Hahaha

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/06/2009 00:35:55 »
what does the "O" stand for in "CRO"?

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11/06/2009 12:00:59 »
look guys if you don't know the answer then please don't put unnecessary text on my post because when people see that the question has been replied 5 times then they don't look at it.and i really need help with this question. [:-[]
and as far as oscilloscope is concerned so it can be used as safety device, what all i need is that how can we use it in an AC and DC circuit as a safety device?

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #7 on: 11/06/2009 13:42:36 »
A Cathode Ray Oscilloscope, as far as I can determine has no special use as a safety device. The answers so far seem valid to me.

Quote from: the link
An oscilloscope is a test instrument which allows you to look at the 'shape' of electrical signals by displaying a graph of voltage against time on its screen. It is like a voltmeter with the valuable extra function of showing how the voltage varies with time. A graticule with a 1cm grid enables you to take measurements of voltage and time from the screen.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #8 on: 11/06/2009 15:38:02 »
The only way I'm aware of that a CRO can be used as a safety device is as a voltmeter, as Vern points out.  And in this respect, it's not really a safety device at all as it won't prevent you, or anything else, from actually touching a live high-voltage source; it'll just show that it's live.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11/06/2009 19:01:35 »
Omid,
It's not that we don't know the answer; it's that we don't think there is one.
It's like asking how a televison set could be used as a safety device.

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11/06/2009 21:07:43 »
I've done a complete experiment on it as a safety device how can you say that there is no answer to my question.
i apologise if you feel bad about my post you are much senior then me and i don't doubt your knowledge about it but all i am saying is that there is an answer that's the reason i am asked to do a whole assignment on it.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11/06/2009 21:35:16 »
The only other electrical safety device I can think of which may be relevant is an opto-isolator,
(it can contain a SCR).
« Last Edit: 11/06/2009 21:38:36 by RD »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11/06/2009 21:44:52 »
Make up your mind.
If you have done the experiments why do you need to ask us about how it can be used as a safety device?
What experiments?

lyner

« Reply #13 on: 11/06/2009 23:52:53 »
A 'safety device' can either be passive - like an Earth wire or an insulator - or active - like an RCD.
For it to be active, it needs to take some sort of action, automatically. How can an oscilloscope trace do that?

Or are we talking at cross purposes - as often happens?

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #14 on: 12/06/2009 00:42:39 »
omid  is the context of your question some kind of homework exercise?  in which case you should have paid more attention to the lesson because without extra information it is not possible to answer your question.  there are vas numbers of ways any measuring instrument can be used as a safety device it just depends what sort of safety device you want.

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12/06/2009 09:55:03 »
bored chemist,
i did an experiment which shows me that It can be use as a safety device since it can protect human from electric shock because some CROs are grounded.
i need few more point like that. which th e task is asking but we didnt do it in the class

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #16 on: 12/06/2009 23:52:13 »
omid  The context of the safety device may not have been used specifically in the class but think about the sorts of things you were told and investigated that the CRO could do, for example safely measuring the voltages on cables to know if a circuit was live etc and see how many of them could be considered in terms of safety.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13/06/2009 01:42:09 »
Omid,
 Which part of "What experiment?" do I need to clarify?

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14/06/2009 17:19:12 »
I am done with the CRO as a safety device and as soon as I receive it back from my teacher Iíll surely post it on the forum so that there was an answer to my question.
Now can you please help me out with the question below;
How can we analyze the suitability of the measurements devices i.e. voltmeters, ammeters and CRO?
Please donít say that there isnít any answer to this one as well. ;)

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14/06/2009 19:31:26 »
In my experience a voltmeter is suitable for measuring voltages, but not for measuring the mass of pet dogs.
In much the same way, an ammeter is of limited usefulness when seeking to establish atmospheric pressure.

Unless you tell us what you are doing it's not possible to say what's good and what isn't.

In much the same way, if you refuse to say what your experiment was, we cannot make any useful comment on it.

Do you understand this concept?
There probably is an answer but, without more information, that answer is so general as to be useless.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14/06/2009 21:50:29 »
Omid, this forum is not intended to do your homework for you. This is something of a recurring theme in your posts. Any forum post will, and should, be taken as a basis for a discussion of interesting related scientific points, getting stroppy because no-one has given you the answer that will enable you to gain credit on your assignment won't gain you either friends or answers.

Offline omid

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15/06/2009 14:43:26 »
bored chemist,
this is what i submitted to my teacher and i got the grade, probably this was anaswer to my question;

oscilloscope Can be used as troubleshooting device, to search for source of problem so that it can be rectified. Can be used to check if newly designed circuit are safe; newly designed circuit might malfunction because of bad voltage level, electrical noise or design error.  Since oscilloscope is a good voltmeter- the input resistance of the device is very high so that very little current is taken from the circuit either in AC or DC current. Digital electronics usually operate from a clock, so a dual-trace scope which shows both the clock signal and a test signal dependent upon the clock is useful. Storage scopes are helpful for capturing rare electronic events that cause defective operation.

Oscilloscope can also be used a alarm or indicator in circuits. E.g. when a.c current is too, the oscilloscope can alert, that the current and needs to be lowered to the standard thatís suitable.

Oscilloscopes that are rated for high-power applications can monitor and/or display currents and voltages associated with electrical power or high-power switching.

One of the advantages of a scope is that it can graphically show signals: where a voltmeter may show a totally unexpected voltage, a scope may reveal that the circuit is oscillating. In other cases the precise shape or timing of a pulse is important.

In a piece of electronic equipment, for example, the connections between stages e.g. electronic mixers, electronic oscillators, amplifiers may be 'probed' for the expected signal, using the scope as a simple signal tracer. If the expected signal is absent or incorrect, some preceding stage of the electronics is not operating correctly.

Once the faulty stage is found, further probing can usually tell a skilled technician exactly which component has failed. This sort of troubleshooting is typical of radio and TV receivers, as well as audio amplifiers, but can apply to quite-different devices such as electronic motor drives.

lyner

« Reply #22 on: 15/06/2009 15:17:19 »
The term "safety device" is not really appropriate here. An oscilloscope is an "Analytical Tool" which can be used to asses safety issues - it isn't a safety device any more than you could say a hammer or a screwdriver could be.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15/06/2009 15:37:25 »
As a 'skilled technician' I have used my oscilloscope many times to investigate abnormal circuit operation but safety has seldom been a consideration.
There are many better ways to investigate safety considerations.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #23 on: 15/06/2009 15:37:25 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums