The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is your weekly grocery bill?  (Read 7907 times)

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
What is your weekly grocery bill?
« on: 10/06/2009 20:56:12 »
Food seems to be going up in price and my children are going up in height. Perhaps I should include a graph. My food bill for last week was 210 for the four of us and three cats (Two of which are growing whilst the other is shrinking. Another graph opportunity.) If I hadn't have gotten a ton of nectar points to use up I would have fainted.
So what are you paying for your grub and where do you like to shop?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10/06/2009 21:17:22 »
Kill two birds three cats with one stone: barbecue the moggies  :)

no more expensive tins of WhiskasTM, and they will provide three roasts where everyone can have a leg.   :)

Personally I'm thinking of becoming a Freegan...

Many freegans get free food by pulling it out of the trash, a practice commonly nicknamed dumpster diving in North America and skipping or bin diving in the UK, as well as bin raiding. Freegans find food in the garbage of restaurants, grocery stores, and other food related industries
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeganism

« Last Edit: 10/06/2009 21:23:52 by RD »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/06/2009 21:17:44 »
Oh My !!....

That's a big ole bill !..but how long will it last ewe ?

Ours...is about 160 a week !...and it's killing me !!...there are 6 of us..plus two cats too !...though I suspect wifey has a lover troll beneath the stairs also !

Tescos is my personal place of choice, I love my clubcard !and I have been known to frequent ASDA as 2am....wifey tops up at sainsburys and Waitrose...which is nice for her but not my credit card !

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/06/2009 22:09:07 »
I'd really like a co-op as they are ethically the best and still pretty cheap but there are none of any size near us. I go to waitrose as they have less "stuff" for me to buy. In all the others I get distracted by clothes and electronic things and...oh god, Star Trek figures. I do tend to row with waitrose staff over there so called ethical shop but still go back. I'd like to shop at M&S as they have bigger strawberries.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #4 on: 11/06/2009 09:18:36 »
Our local Somerfield has now become a Budgen supermarket. This was part of the deal when the Co-op bought out Somerfield and was ordered by the OFT to sell off 50 stores.

As Somerfield, it was handy for topping up the monthly shop from the Asda & Morrisons stores we normally use. Although a bit more expensive, because it was within walking distance, this offset the higher prices for things like fresh baked bread, milk, baked beans and so on. They stocked all the usual necessities and had some good deals from time to time.

Now as Budgen, the prices are much higher, making it not such an attractive deal. Also, as I said, Somerfield stocked the basic essentials, but this Budgen has a lot of wrong stock. By this I mean, for example, a range of different olives, sun dried tomato, couscous etc. They don't seem to understand, that as a small local supermarket, it is the basic essentials they should carry, not the deli type produce. Needless to say, a shop which used to be very busy is now very quiet.

Thank you OFT, you've buggered everything up nicely.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #5 on: 11/06/2009 13:22:26 »
Mine is about 6-7.  That's just for me though.  Needless to say, less than 1%, possibly even approaching 0.1%, of the food I buy is thrown away.

I prefer to shop at Sainsburys as I think the quality of their own-brand and economy ranges is far higher than other supermarket own-brand and economy stuff I've tried, but it's a longer walk than the nearest Asda and therefore a longer walk home with my shopping.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11/06/2009 20:24:37 »
Lee your diet must be micro. How do you do it?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11/06/2009 20:30:25 »
Mine is about 6-7.  That's just for me though.

A typo surely. Don't you mean 67 a week?
Living on bread and water would cost more than a pound a day.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11/06/2009 20:37:56 »
Perhaps he is a bin diver or whatever it is called. I prefer the other type of diver personally.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11/06/2009 20:59:58 »
Perhaps he is a bin diver or whatever it is called. I prefer the other type of diver personally.

Me too, if you mean Tanya Streeter...

http://www.redefineyourlimits.com/

Athletic, intelligent, well-spoken, has a collection of rubber suits, and can hold her breath for six minutes.
« Last Edit: 11/06/2009 21:01:45 by RD »

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11/06/2009 21:25:25 »
I tend to lose track of how much we spend, probably about 100 a week for 2 of us, although thats a bit of a guess. We do tend to buy lunches separately while at work, as it tends to work out cheaper, bizarrely enough, than getting bread and decent sandwich fillings. Bread seems to go off so much quicker these days too. I'm sure it used to last the best part of a working week, so we're lucky if it lasts a couple of days. Oh, and breakfast is provided at work, so that probably helps.

I split my time between London and Norfolk, so it depends on where I am as to where I shop. While in Norfolk, the nearest main supermarket is tesco, so we go there if we need to do a big shop, otherwise I use the local co-op.

When in London, the local supermarket is waitrose, but if I want a big shop I'll drive up to the sainsbury's about a mile or so away. If I want to shop straight after work, I might go to the tesco express, or the sainsbury's a little further away.

As you can see, I'm not that loyal. In fact, yes I am, I'm very loyal - I have loyalty cards to all the major stores!!  ;D

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11/06/2009 22:31:51 »
What about coffee shops do you have loyalty cards for any of them?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11/06/2009 22:34:09 »
Mine is about 6-7.  That's just for me though.  Needless to say, less than 1%, possibly even approaching 0.1%, of the food I buy is thrown away.

I prefer to shop at Sainsburys as I think the quality of their own-brand and economy ranges is far higher than other supermarket own-brand and economy stuff I've tried, but it's a longer walk than the nearest Asda and therefore a longer walk home with my shopping.

I luff the el cheapo sparling/still water..it's only about 12p !!

I rang up Sainsburys and congratulated them on it...they said it's real mineral water !...me is chuffed !!

Ethos

« Reply #13 on: 12/06/2009 02:11:41 »
Here in the US of A, I believe groceries must be considerably cheaper. Not being familiar with the current rate of exchange when comparing the Pound with that of the Dollar, I am ofcourse only guessing.

There is just myself and my dear wife in our household, no pets to feed. We usually spend around $80.00 per week. This sum would also include toiletries and misc. items as well. Capitalism is such a good thing, shamefully, we seem to be losing it at every turn! I wonder how long it will be before we start calling the White House the Red House ?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #14 on: 12/06/2009 09:45:37 »
I wonder how long it will be before we start calling the White House the Red House ?

Or the Sh1t house!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12/06/2009 09:54:30 »
Here in the US of A, I believe groceries must be considerably cheaper. Not being familiar with the current rate of exchange when comparing the Pound with that of the Dollar, I am ofcourse only guessing.

There is just myself and my dear wife in our household, no pets to feed. We usually spend around $80.00 per week. This sum would also include toiletries and misc. items as well. Capitalism is such a good thing, shamefully, we seem to be losing it at every turn! I wonder how long it will be before we start calling the White House the Red House ?

My windows vista sidebar gadget thingy tells me that today (June 12th 2009) there are 1.652 dollars to the ...this makes your weekly shop encourage me to trek stateside to do our weekly shop !

« Last Edit: 12/06/2009 09:59:36 by neilep »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12/06/2009 09:57:12 »
What about coffee shops do you have loyalty cards for any of them?

alas, I stopped drinking coffee a year ago...

I've had a green tea in a coffee shop once..and they charge ewe more for a bigger cup !..ie: in the case of my tea..I am being charged for adding more water !!

*le humpth*

« Last Edit: 12/06/2009 09:58:59 by neilep »

Ethos

« Reply #17 on: 12/06/2009 16:16:01 »
I wonder how long it will be before we start calling the White House the Red House ?

Or the Sh1t house!
Truly Don....., me thinks stocking up on butt wipe is advised!!!

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #18 on: 12/06/2009 18:33:52 »
Lee your diet must be micro. How do you do it?

While I'm relatively inactive i.e. not doing much physical stuff I find that I don't as much food and just eat a single meal per day.  I also only generally drink a single cup of coffee per day and then mostly drink diluted squash (@ 47 pence for 1.5 litres of concentrate, which lasts for nearly two weeks.  Oh, the coffee is economy stuff too).  When I cook, it'll mostly be curries/casserole/stew type stuff, with a low meat/high vegetable content, and when I do cook, I cook a lot at one go, and then freeze the 5-6 helpings left after I've eaten.

So it's mostly a combination of not eating more than I need to, not wasting anything and not buying high-cost foods.  When I buy something that won't keep for very long I'll eat it on consecutive days until it's all used, which isn't always what I fancy, but in the end, the primary role of food is fuel.  Don't get me wrong - I enjoy many different types of food, but sustenance and economy must come before entertainment.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12/06/2009 19:05:39 »
Lee you are a hero. If everyone was as feudal then the world would be a better place. However when you have kids, pester power wins hands down.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #20 on: 13/06/2009 15:50:06 »
115 a week.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #21 on: 13/06/2009 16:25:31 »
MiL:  feudal?  Did you mean frugal?

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13/06/2009 16:33:14 »
About 60.00 per week for me and the cats, because I try to use the small local food shops as much as I can, like the fishmonger, bakers, butchers, greengrocers.

Although there are 3 supermarkets locally.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #23 on: 13/06/2009 17:03:53 »
Cooeee! All that money spent on pet food! My tortoises don't cost a penny on food. Apart from the occasional piece of strawberry, tomato and cucumber, as a treat, its all weeds picked from woodland, heathland, waste ground and the neighbours gardens. Mind you, they make up for it in the winter, when it costs a small fortune in electricity for heat & UV lamps!

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13/06/2009 20:18:04 »
About 60.00 per week for me and the cats, because I try to use the small local food shops as much as I can, like the fishmonger, bakers, butchers, greengrocers.

Although there are 3 supermarkets locally.
Is there a candlestick maker locally as well, if so you are living in a nursery rhyme and should move out immediately!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 13/06/2009 20:18:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums