The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you colour bubbles  (Read 3969 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Can you colour bubbles
« on: 20/07/2005 20:44:47 »
Dearest Mentors of Mine,

My three year old loves her toy lawnmower which blows out bubbles. *sigh* there's nothing quite like three hours of constant whirring and clicking until all the bubble solution is gone to really cheer you up !! (Is the sarcasm coming through to you ?)

Anyway, I love bubbles (Not the ones you get in the bath, they're all pongy)...but, if I was get some more bubble solution tomorrow (like hell I will !)...and I added some food dye or something to colour it...would the bubbles themselves be that colour too ?

5 mins later before pressing ' POST '.I just made some bubbles with some green washing up liquid and I honestly didn't notice a green hue.....if this is true and bubbles can not be coloured ('colored' for the american chums !!)...why can they not be coloured ?..or can they ?

Effervesce me with your air filled spherical answers !!
Thank you.

Neil xxxxx

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
Re: Can you colour bubbles
« Reply #1 on: 20/07/2005 21:44:57 »
I've seen bubbles made from plastics that are coloured, but I spose those are a different kind of thing. I guess the colour would need to be VERY concentrated to have any effect since the bubble is very thin and the solvent is what makes up most of the surface, i.e. water rather than the dye. I think you would still get the trippy psychedelic whirly effect too, thatís just because the bubble is such a fine film, you get turbulence on the surface causing refraction etc... I think the answer is probably no for bubbles formed from water with soap, its just too thin to notice any colouration, the plastic bubble things work because they are quite thick and so filter out some of the light plus the colour is the selling point too.

I also know what you mean about that lawn mower toy... My next door neighbours at home child mind for lots of people, and have a whole squad of the blasted things [xx(]. I get woken up by the incessant clicks all the time. You have my sympathy Neil! :D.

wOw the world spins?
« Last Edit: 21/07/2005 08:09:48 by Ultima »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/07/2005 08:43:25 »
Thanks Matt, I did in fact mean soap bubbles. I see what you mean about the layer being so thin that the colour would just be impercetable.

Thanks for your support re the lawnmower thing, it might just find itself accidently put away in the back of a cupboard or under the stairs soon ;)! Thanks

Neil

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 21/07/2005 08:43:25 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums