The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is This Stone & Why Did It Crack There ?  (Read 4275 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
What is This Stone & Why Did It Crack There ?
« on: 12/06/2009 12:40:31 »
Dearest stoneologists,

As a sheepy I of course luff all stones !..stones are my all time favourite things that are well old and made from stoney stuff !

See this stone I picked up the other day ?

Nice eh ?

I was well surprised that when I picked it up it just fell apart !

a few questions ?

what is it ?

what's the patternation stuff?

Why did it split at that particular point ? ie why was that specific portion a weak spot ?

How could it have been split like that but remained whole ? ie: it came apart when I picked it up !

How old is it ?
  My son says it's well old and I agree..he made me larf by saying it's many tens of thousands of years..perhaps millions but I slapped him round the head and said it can't be older than 70 years because I reckon that's old enuff !!

Lots of questions I know...but then...I want to know lots of stuff and ewe know lots of stuff !

hugs & shmishes

neil
I condone questions about the stone
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12/06/2009 19:44:22 »
Looks like chert. As for cracking - weeeeellll I will bet that on the end - right end in the picture - it has been struck rather hard with a piece of construction equipment. You cansee a bit has been taken out of the rounded nodule on that end. As it was not moved, it had not separated.

Now you can make flint ax heads and scrapers to attack your neighbors, dismember them and eat them. Please report back on your progress. 

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/06/2009 19:46:48 »
Oh yes, the discolourations are probably iron oxide contaminants in the nodule mtrix.

(please not that I used the British spelling for the color part. I am so cooperative to spell the way the less advantaged people spell.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/06/2009 21:26:42 »
Oh yes, the discolourations are probably iron oxide contaminants in the nodule mtrix.

(please not that I used the British spelling for the color part. I am so cooperative to spell the way the less advantaged people spell.

I note ewe spell "colour" incorrectly !! tch tch tch !!

Chert eh ?..well of course it is !!...Yes..yes there is a definite cavity there. gosh !!...ewe are right..it must have been struck by a pick axe or a woodpecker on steroids !...ewe are klevur Mr Jim...ewe should do stuff like this for a living !

hmmmmm..yumymy yummy "neighbour pie" !

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 12/06/2009 21:26:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums