The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it really wrong to keep water boiling?  (Read 5377 times)

Sarah Toogood

Is it really wrong to keep water boiling?
« on: 12/06/2009 20:30:05 »
Sarah Toogood  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi there,

Just got this through - not sure if it's rubbish or if there's something in it.... Is it really wrong to keep water boiling?

>>>>>
THIS IS NOT A NEW DISCOVERY BUT MANY OF US JUST IGNORE IT!

A pharmacist report from Singapore warning people NEVER to keep boiling drinking water!!

Report Summary: TOP harmful chemical named Toxic Nitrate is produced in water when keep boiling it!! This harmful substance has been proved to increase chances of intestinal and stomach cancers.

IF you currently use 'WATER DISPENSER with WARM / HOT WATER functions' or 'Electric AUTO keep warm Thermos' for convenience, STOP IT NOW or you will suicide yourself as well as your loved ones slowly!

NOWADAYS many drinking water companies offer FREE WATER DISPENSER when you order drinking water from them! THINK WISELY before you order! YOU may get FREE water dispenser but in fact it would be paid out in your OWN HEALTH!

>>>>

What do you think?

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13/06/2009 03:28:50 »
Dunno. I have heard that blue baby syndrome is very rare in the UK where I live, and there hasn't been one in several decades. I also have heard the information in this webpage:

http://altmedangel.com/nitrates.htm

The critical bit for me is the claim that our bodies secrete extra nitrates if we don't get enough in our diet ;-) It might be interesting to know what level the body tries to maintain is.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/06/2009 07:41:40 »
Water is H20. Hot water is still H20. There's no way to get a nitrate out of it.

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/06/2009 15:42:46 »
I think the point is more that if there's nitrate in it, when you boil it, it gets more concentrated.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #4 on: 13/06/2009 16:31:15 »
Sarah:  never trust anyone who believes they need to capitalise words at random.  If they don't even know how to write properly it's unlikely that they know what they're talking about.

Offline Shadec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/06/2009 08:44:47 »
Water is H20. Hot water is still H20. There's no way to get a nitrate out of it.
thats what i was thinking, its ridiculous. and if it were a real chemical, then it would say "Silver nitrate" or "KNO3" or something, not just "Toxic nitrate"!

Sarah:  never trust anyone who believes they need to capitalise words at random.  If they don't even know how to write properly it's unlikely that they know what they're talking about.
thats my rule too!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 19/06/2009 08:44:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums