The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are Red Grapes Just As Good For Me As Red Wine ?  (Read 5009 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Are Red Grapes Just As Good For Me As Red Wine ?
« on: 13/06/2009 21:02:21 »
Dearest Alcys,

As a tea-totalling sheep I of course do not partake the imbibnation of wine ....I just don't like the stuff.

However, I have heard that a little red wine every day is good for ewe....*le yuck !!*

I do like grapes though.

Look , here is what I am talking about. I have labeled the items in case differentiation is difficult !!  ::) ::)

Nice eh ?..being delivered next Tuesday !

Can I get away by just eating the grapes and reap the same rewards as if I was drinking the wine ?

I do cook with wine....does that count ?

whajafink ?

cheers

Neil
Sober Sheep
XXXXXXXXXXX

lyner

« Reply #1 on: 13/06/2009 22:32:24 »
You must NEVER cook without wine - so you're half way there.

But there's something in the work that goes into winemaking. It is a shame, for some people, that it involves alcohol.

Ethos

« Reply #2 on: 13/06/2009 23:44:03 »
Dearest Alcys,

Can I get away by just eating the grapes and reap the same rewards as if I was drinking the wine ?

From what I understand, the benefit is derived from the mold spore which is found on the surface of the grape. This fungi is responsible for the fermentation process which results in the alcoholic content of wine. If you examine a fresh grape, you will notice a very thin film of a white substance on the surface of the skin. This fungi is said to have the ability of reducing the build-up of plaque in our circulatory system. So you see, the alcohol has little or nothing to do with the beneficial use of wine, the credit must go the the fungi. ;) ;)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #3 on: 14/06/2009 10:18:05 »
............So you see, the alcohol has little or nothing to do with the beneficial use of wine, the credit must go the the fungi. ;) ;)

Ho yeah!!! Weel thatsh nort the waaahy (*BURP*) I shee it merrrr (*HIC*) merrr (*BURP*) merrr...atey. (*HIC*HIC*BURP*) (*Prrrrp*) B bb b buggerrit I've jusht shpilled ma (*BURP*HIC*) ma bloody der der derrrrink!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/06/2009 12:36:36 »
You must NEVER cook without wine - so you're half way there.

But there's something in the work that goes into winemaking. It is a shame, for some people, that it involves alcohol.

Does that include toast ?   ;)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/06/2009 12:40:59 »
Dearest Alcys,

From what I understand, the benefit is derived from the mold spore which is found on the surface of the grape. This fungi is responsible for the fermentation process which results in the alcoholic content of wine. If you examine a fresh grape, you will notice a very thin film of a white substance on the surface of the skin. This fungi is said to have the ability of reducing the build-up of plaque in our circulatory system. So you see, the alcohol has little or nothing to do with the beneficial use of wine, the credit must go the the fungi. ;) ;)

Thank ewe Ethos

So THAT is what that white stuff is. I have often wondered,

Thank ewe for your informed answer. I shall continue to enjoy grapes in the knowledge that I am doing myself good too !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/06/2009 12:45:46 »
............So you see, the alcohol has little or nothing to do with the beneficial use of wine, the credit must go the the fungi. ;) ;)

Ho yeah!!! Weel thatsh nort the waaahy (*BURP*) I shee it merrrr (*HIC*) merrr (*BURP*) merrr...atey. (*HIC*HIC*BURP*) (*Prrrrp*) B bb b buggerrit I've jusht shpilled ma (*BURP*HIC*) ma bloody der der derrrrink!

Someone get this libertine womanising turtle lover a gallon of coffee !   :D

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14/06/2009 20:18:44 »
My understanding is thet the benefit comes from two things; the alcohol helps some people relax and that's generally good for health. Also there are chemicals like resveratron in red wine that act as anti oxidants. These are also present in the unfermented juice.
If you are relaxed enough already then most of the benefit that you might derive from wine can be had from the grapes.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14/06/2009 21:51:30 »
My understanding is thet the benefit comes from two things; the alcohol helps some people relax and that's generally good for health. Also there are chemicals like resveratron in red wine that act as anti oxidants. These are also present in the unfermented juice.
If you are relaxed enough already then most of the benefit that you might derive from wine can be had from the grapes.

Thank Ewe very much for this Bored Chemist.Resveratron !!...sounds like Emperor Mings forcefield !!

One thing I have not asked is how many grapes would I have to eat to equate to glass of wine ?..anyone know ?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 14/06/2009 21:51:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums