The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The Nature Of A Memory Loss ?  (Read 13744 times)

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The Nature Of A Memory Loss ?
« Reply #25 on: 08/08/2009 05:02:35 »
Ö does that mean that dementia is now completely ruled out?

It is not possible to definitively say a person does not have vascular dementia unless their brain has been dissected, (necropsy).

Microvascular disease affecting the smallest blood vessels in the brain, (each thinner than a hair), does not usually show up on MRI or angiogram: it is below the limit of resolution of these imaging techniques in ĺ  to  2/3 of cases, (later diagnosed by brain biopsy or necropsy).

He said the tests were negative for Ö Vascular dementia - which is a raspberry and a ďnah nah na-nah nahĒ to RD

Iím not rooting for a vascular dementia diagnosis John. Iím just trying to give accurate and constructive information, e.g.  If your cognitive dysfunction was due to vascular disease then you could take steps to treat it with medication, (type of medication depending on the cause of the vascular disease).

The fact that Iíve had these memory problems all my adult life

If you have had microvascular disease affecting your brain for the past 20 years it would probably not be confined there. It may also have shown up in rashes or ischemic markings on your skin, or recurring ulcers on mucous membranes in your mouth, nose or GI tract. Having a biopsy of a surrogate site in skin or mucous membrane would be preferable to a brain biopsy, which you need like a hole in the head.  :)

PS
I note you work with chemicals. Chemical exposure, (and of course prescribed or "street" drugs), can cause cognitive impairment Ö 

Organic brain syndrome can also have a chronic cause with chronic exposure to a toxin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_brain_syndrome

Organophosphate is a widespread source of neurotoxin ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organophosphate_poisoning

[chemical exposure would have to correspond with memory deficits to be a possible explanation]
« Last Edit: 10/08/2009 03:34:49 by RD »

Offline Pwee

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10/08/2009 09:11:09 »
Hi John!

It seams that I have oversimplified your problem (or the "solution" for it). I apologise for that.

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10/08/2009 11:47:03 »
Hi Pwee

It seems that I have oversimplified your problem (or the "solution" for it). I apologise for that.

Not at all. I am extremely grateful for the time you spent with your previous reply and I didn't mean to sound unappreciative or dismissive. Many thanks.

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11/08/2009 09:29:53 »
Thanks RD

You may have hit on something there.

I note you work with chemicals. Chemical exposure, (and of course prescribed or "street" drugs), can cause cognitive impairment Ö 

Drugs are not a problem but I spend quite a bit of time inhaling methanol fumes, although I try reduce this where possible. My poor memory has got worse during the last 18 months or so which corresponds roughly to how long I have been playing around with biodiesel, the source of my methanol fumes. Methanol is a neurotoxin. According to Wikipedia:

ďMethanol is toxic. If ingested, as little as 10ml can cause permanent blindness by destruction of the optic nerve. The usual fatal dose is 100 Ė 125 ml (4 fl oz).
...It enters the body by ingestion, inhalation or absorption through the skin and can be fatal due to itís CNS depressant properties.Ē

Freshly made raw bio has about 4% free methanol in it which is removed by warming up the bio and bubbling air through it to evaporate it off Ė into my garage! I do it overnight to avoid breathing it in but typically Iíll bubble off about 4 litres of methanol probably twice each week. Thatís 80 times the potentially fatal dose! Thatís gotta be bad to breathe in, even if its only the residue the following morning.

Mind you, there are lots of amateur biodiesel producers and they canít all have damaged central nervous systems. And I have plenty of spiders living in the garage.

I wonder if thereís any way to test for methanol poisoning.

« Last Edit: 12/08/2009 08:54:14 by John Chapman »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11/08/2009 17:39:34 »
... typically Iíll bubble off about 4 litres of methanol probably twice each week

I hope you don't smoke ... http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/healthandsafety.html

I wonder if thereís any way to test for methanol poisoning.

Inhaled methanol would be measurable in blood and urine (and even saliva) ... http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/88/1/30

Methanol's breakdown products have a longer half life than the methanol ...
Thirty per cent of the ingested dose is excreted unchanged by the respiratory tract. The kidney excretes less than 5% of unchanged methanol. Formate is detectable in the urine from 4 to 10 days after a single exposure (Baselt, 1982a). Urine formate excretion >70 mg/24 hours confirms the diagnosis of methanol intoxication (Bozza-Marrubini et al., l987). This compares with an average urinary formate concentration of 2 to 30 mg/L in non-exposed subjects (Baselt, 1982a; Shaller & Triebig, 1985).
http://www.inchem.org/documents/pims/chemical/pim335.htm#4.3%20Occupationally%20exposed%20populations

I have plenty of spiders living in the garage.

How would you know whether or not the spiders were intoxicated ?  [
:D ]

« Last Edit: 12/08/2009 02:51:35 by RD »

Offline John Chapman

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 12/08/2009 09:14:24 »
Hi RD

That's really interesting.

I thought the 'spiders on drugs' film was hilarious. I going to send that to all my friends.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #30 on: 12/08/2009 09:14:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums