The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it possible to mimic the way in which Earth's electromagnetic field arises?  (Read 4963 times)

Offline wanhafizi

• View Profile
Hi there,

We been told that the molten iron which circulates the earth's solid core created our north and south pole.

Therefore, is it possible to produce electromagnetic energy by circulating liquid mercury around an iron rod?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 19/06/2009 09:12:58 by chris »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The best simulation done to date has been done at the University of Maryland.  It used elemental sodium as the magnetic producing material in a rather complexly heated sphere. Dr. Daniel Lathrop at the University of Maryland that built a machine for the research. His experiment is called the three meter experiment.

Offline wanhafizi

• View Profile
Interesting!

Did it work?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline wanhafizi

• View Profile
Is there any problem preventing them from using mercury? It seems to me a better choice then sodium, because it is liquid in room temperature. But, of course, mercury is a heavy stuff.

Online Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Volume for volume sodium is one of the cheapest metals, and that much mercury would be so heavy as to make the experiment impractical.

I'm amused that one of the comments on the youtube page asks if they did it in miniature first. Err, the original is a whole planet; the 3 metre version is miniature.

Offline wanhafizi

• View Profile
...I'm amused that one of the comments on the youtube page asks if they did it in miniature first. Err, the original is a whole planet; the 3 metre version is miniature.

Haha, maybe I would thought the same way too, just put them in a glass, and swirl the liquid around  :D

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Great question though wanhafizi, thanks.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums