The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: electric shock from 9V battery  (Read 54538 times)

Offline msvrd

  • First timers
  • *
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
electric shock from 9V battery
« on: 25/07/2005 15:31:22 »
Does anybody know what components you would have to wire up to a 9V battery and two pieces of metal so that when you touch both pieces of metal you complete the circuit and get a small electric shock?[?][?][?][?]


 

Offline gsmollin

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 749
    • View Profile
Re: electric shock from 9V battery
« Reply #1 on: 25/07/2005 19:35:06 »
You would have to build an electronic circuit that would raise the voltage to several hundred volts. The circuit should also operate in a pulsed fashion, like an electric fence charger, to give the shock sensation as long as the electrodes are touched.

Making something like this requires a fair command of electronics. There is also a safety issue with high voltage, so that you do not deliver a dangerous shock.
 

Offline ukmicky

  • Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3011
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Re: electric shock from 9V battery
« Reply #2 on: 25/07/2005 19:53:05 »
just out of interest if anyone can anwser this.
How much voltage is delivered in an average static shock.
« Last Edit: 25/07/2005 19:55:01 by ukmicky »
 

Offline Ultima

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 488
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
Re: electric shock from 9V battery
« Reply #3 on: 25/07/2005 21:10:14 »
ukmicky I answered this a while back...
http://www.nakedscientist.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1748&SearchTerms=static,voltage

wOw the world spins?
 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
Re: electric shock from 9V battery
« Reply #4 on: 25/07/2005 21:16:39 »
I'm curious as to why MYSYRD wants to know this....are you planning a joke thing ?

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!
 

Offline simeonie

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 351
    • View Profile
    • http://www.simeonie.co.uk
Re: electric shock from 9V battery
« Reply #5 on: 25/07/2005 23:03:29 »
OOOO this reminds me of something. Someone played this horrible prank on me where there was this stapaler and I pressed it and it gave me the shock of my life. IT REALLY HURT!

I think it was a vibration though but I wasnt sure. It was really horrible!!

----------------------
-__- my website!!!!
http://www.simeonie.co.uk
has forums too!
Think about it! lolz
 

Offline gsmollin

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 749
    • View Profile
Re: electric shock from 9V battery
« Reply #6 on: 26/07/2005 14:19:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by simeonie

OOOO this reminds me of something. Someone played this horrible prank on me where there was this stapaler and I pressed it and it gave me the shock of my life. IT REALLY HURT!

I think it was a vibration though but I wasnt sure. It was really horrible!!

----------------------
-__- my website!!!!
http://www.simeonie.co.uk
has forums too!

That's right. Electric shocks do hurt, which is why I wouldn't tell anyone how to make this thing. I made one myself, many years ago, and I thought it was great fun. Not everybody agreed with me though.
Think about it! lolz

 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
Re: electric shock from 9V battery
« Reply #7 on: 26/07/2005 16:37:36 »
I remember once getting one of those PP3 9v bateries which i tthought was dead, I can't remember what I did but it was not intentional...I must have had it in my hand close to my mouth and my tongue made a connection between the two contacts !!!..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap !!....I must have been ten or something......horrible !!!

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!
 

Offline chris

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 5339
  • Thanked: 65 times
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: electric shock from 9V battery
« Reply #8 on: 26/07/2005 17:38:36 »
Yes, a good way to check quickly whether a PP3 battery is alive or dead is to hold it onto your tongue. It causes localised stimulation, which is modestly uncomfortable, and electrolyses your saliva, generating oxygen and hydrogen. Which is nice.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx
 

Offline David Sparkman

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 234
    • View Profile
Re: electric shock from 9V battery
« Reply #9 on: 29/07/2005 20:37:09 »
The tongue test is much better and safer. If you short out the battery with a piece of wire between both contacts, you may produce a small spark in a dark room, but you may also damage the battery by drawing too much current and overheating the core of the battery. Just touch the two contacts briefly with a wet tongue. There is enough resistance in your wet tongue to prevent damage, and you will know instantly if it is good.

David
 

Offline weebrain

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 35
    • View Profile
Re: electric shock from 9V battery
« Reply #10 on: 01/08/2005 05:21:24 »
If u want a nice quick shocker that run on 9vs or less, base your circuit on the flash circuit you find in a desposiable cameras!

Or if your lazy (as my self) just give them the removed charged circuit (without the battery in).

In most its about 300vs but, low amps so there fine![xx(]

p.s. have fun n dont lick it for a dare, u will talk like a drunk for afews minuites.

loony
 

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 2331
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Re: electric shock from 9V battery
« Reply #11 on: 01/08/2005 08:48:49 »
We used to take out the copper transformers out of old televisions and radios when at school, this delivers a significantly higher voltage. The rule of thumb was the bigger the transformer the better the shock.

One lad had found an amazing one in an old wind up telephone he aquired bringing it into the school. man did that give you a belt when you wound it up :)

But passing a 9 volt power through a transformer can either boost the voltage or reduce it depending on which wires you use,

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"
« Last Edit: 01/08/2005 08:50:11 by Andrew K Fletcher »
 

Offline daveshorts

  • Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2583
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Re: electric shock from 9V battery
« Reply #12 on: 01/08/2005 19:11:19 »
A transformer will only work on a changing input current - so it will work on AC or just when you switch on or off a current through the input coil.

Be careful make sure there is a very large resistor in you circuit so that the currents can never become  dangerous - I am not sure what is dangerous, probably on the order of a few micro Amps...
 

Offline chimera

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 475
    • View Profile
Re: electric shock from 9V battery
« Reply #13 on: 01/08/2005 21:36:17 »
This one comes with a handy little warning sticker 'Don't lick me' on the back.

http://science.slashdot.org/science/05/08/01/1040217.shtml?tid=14


Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils - Hector Louis Berlioz
 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: electric shock from 9V battery
« Reply #13 on: 01/08/2005 21:36:17 »

 

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums