The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do Photons Have Volume  (Read 2745 times)

Offline litespeed

• View Profile
Do Photons Have Volume
« on: 16/06/2009 17:25:16 »
I have heard photons behave as both waves (hrtz) and particles. Accordingly, I have a couple of questions regarding photons.

1) So. During the photoelectric effect, a photon losses energy when it causes an electron to move, thus creating both mass acceleration of the electron and the resulting electric field.  Is this effect subject to plank unit description, or is it infinitely instantaneous.

2) As this photon transist any sort of medium, does it disappear then reapear as it transits plank distances?

3) Does the Htz of the photon exhibit itself in space thus showing length. Or does its Hrtz exist only in one or two dimensions as it moves through space.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
Do Photons Have Volume
« Reply #1 on: 16/06/2009 17:52:34 »
I have heard photons behave as both waves (hrtz) and particles. Accordingly, I have a couple of questions regarding photons.

1) So. During the photoelectric effect, a photon losses energy when it causes an electron to move, thus creating both mass acceleration of the electron and the resulting electric field.  Is this effect subject to plank unit description, or is it infinitely instantaneous.
I suspect that the electron absorbs the photon over a period of time; maybe the time it takes one wave length to arrive.  The only way an electron can absorb a photon is to gain speed; or lose speed. This speed change kicks it out of its niche.

2) As this photon transist any sort of medium, does it disappear then reapear as it transits plank distances?
I suspect it moves smoothly as a changing field of electric and magnetic potential.

3) Does the Htz of the photon exhibit itself in space thus showing length. Or does its Hrtz exist only in one or two dimensions as it moves through space.

I think it does; some will say it doesn't; we can't know. The only time we can sense a photon is when it is created and when it is absorbed. At creation and absorption we can only sense it by observing a change in the creating-absorbing mechanism.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Do Photons Have Volume
« Reply #2 on: 17/06/2009 09:43:36 »
In a classical sense everything moves smoothly but the machinations of quantum theory say we can only measure it after certain step quantum rules apply.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Do Photons Have Volume
« Reply #2 on: 17/06/2009 09:43:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums