The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What Are These Three Types Of Cloud ?  (Read 5087 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
What Are These Three Types Of Cloud ?
« on: 16/06/2009 20:19:57 »
Greets Peeps and the Cloud Master Paul,

As a sheepy I of course luff clouds...they look just like me without legs and a head !..and this is why I luff clouds !! Out of all the cotton wooly fluffy things that float in the sky that are big and drop rain..Clouds are my all time fave !..I luff em, ewe luff em..we all luff em !!

Whilst driving down the M1 the other day I couldn't help but notice that I could see three distinct different types of cloud in one go.

I did a bad thing....I took a photo via my camera whilst driving..I took a few actually and was fortunate that the one inserted here is the only one that showed all three !!

Is it unusual to have this many different types of cloud on view in one go ?

What types of cloud are they ?.

I think it was circa 7-8pm !

Release me from the prison that is my ignorance on clouds and and cloud related pehenomena !

hugs & shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !!

Neil
Cloud Worshipping Sheep
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: 16/06/2009 20:21:51 by neilep »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16/06/2009 20:37:25 »
[cloud appreciation society] If you’ve got something to tell us, we’d love to hear it.
 But only if it is about clouds. Otherwise we’re not interested.
http://cloudappreciationsociety.org/

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/06/2009 20:38:34 »
[cloudappreciationsociety.org] If you’ve got something to tell us, we’d love to hear it.
 But only if it is about clouds. Otherwise we’re not interested.
http://cloudappreciationsociety.org/

Holy Guacomole !!

That's a fantastic website !!

paul.fr

« Reply #3 on: 16/06/2009 21:09:59 »
Hi Neil,

You clouds are:

High, Cirrus
Middle, Stratocumulus
Low, Cumulus.

The one you have posted above is of a proposed new type of cloud, currently being called Asperatus. The classification of this cloud is currently being reviewed and discussed by the Met Office, and if they think it could, or should be classified as a new cloud type they will take it to the WMO for their approval. Exciting times...
« Last Edit: 17/06/2009 21:39:15 by Paul. »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/06/2009 00:30:47 »
Hi Neil,

You clouds are:

High, Cirrus
Middle, Altocumulus
Low, Cumulus.

The one you have posted above is of a proposed new type of cloud, currently being called Asperatus. The classification of this cloud is currently being reviewed and discussed by the Met Office, and if they think it could, or should be classified as a new cloud type they will take it to the WMO for their approval. Exciting times...

Thank Ewe Paul,

yep, I heard about the new type of cloud........ but surely this type of cloud has been around since ...well..clouds have !

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17/06/2009 02:58:09 »
What makes them so special that they might become a new type?

paul.fr

« Reply #6 on: 17/06/2009 16:07:50 »
yep, I heard about the new type of cloud........ but surely this type of cloud has been around since ...well..clouds have !

Ermmm, it looks like "we" were not looking up enough to notice them before. Or they were being simply looked upon as a simple wave cloud.

As it happens, now that this has gained media attention, people are spotting them everywhere! Here is a link to some more examples:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/gallery/2009/jun/01/2?picture=348217730

“Asperatus” clouds form when there are two (or more) layers of air of differing density, one sitting on the other.  The cooler and higher layer is cloudy and the other layer is clear.  The boundary between these layers may occasionally get knocked up, but will return downwards thanks to gravity and then may go further down but will return back up thanks to buoyancy.  This creates a wave-like surface along the cloud base, and we call these gravity waves because the returning force is gravity and buoyancy.

Yes, the waves on the surface of the sea are a good example of this process.

Another good example is when moist air blows over a range of mountains and makes a system of mountain wave clouds.  In New Zealand this often happens, and people in Canterbury call the mountain wave clouds  “the northwest arch”.

At first individual Altocumulus lenticularis clouds form,  but as a front approaches, upper-level moisture increases and middle and high clouds combine to produce an arch cloud comprising Altocumulus, Altostratus, and Cirrostratus.  This arch cloud displays a very sharp edge near the mountains and often there is an arch of clear sky immediately downstream of the mountain divide.

We can cope with the current naming scheme and use Altocumulus lenticularis to describe the NW arch clouds, but it would also be useful to have the extra variety or species word “ASPERATUS” especially when there are undulations in the cloud base.

http://blog.metservice.com/pages/asperatus/

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17/06/2009 19:15:41 »
Childrens misconceptions about clouds:

Rain comes through the holes in clouds

The sun melts clouds and then it rains

The sun boils the sea to make clouds

The sea fills up empty clouds

Oh how teaching the water cycle can totally confuse the little darlings. It just goes to show that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. For more clangers go to:
http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/miscon/opphys.html

paul.fr

« Reply #8 on: 17/06/2009 21:39:45 »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 17/06/2009 21:39:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length