The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Evolution started with bacteria or virus or something completely different?  (Read 2623 times)

Offline wanhafizi

• View Profile
Hi everyone!

This one really bothers me.

Virus are the most simplest living thing in the world. (Yes, we are not into debating virus as living object or not). One might thought we started with virus. The problem is, viruses need other living cells to cling to.

Bacteria is much more complex then a virus, so it would be hard for me to think bacteria as the first living creature in the soup of life.

I think evolution still have a very tough time to answer the question "how it really started?".

Offline Ophiolite

• View Profile
The problem is, viruses need other living cells to cling to.
The suspicion is that viruses are a form of more complex life. They are not viewed as progenitors of such life.

I think evolution still have a very tough time to answer the question "how it really started?".
Evolution will have an impossible time to answer this question since abiogenesis, the origin of life from non-biological material, has nothing to do with evolution. Do you expect evolution to answer questions relating to the decompression times for scuba divers, or to explain satellite orbits? Nor should you expect evolution to answer the unrelated question of abiogenesis.

Bacteria is much more complex then a virus, so it would be hard for me to think bacteria as the first living creature in the soup of life.
You are thinking of life as being digital. Things are either dead, or they are alive. It is more likely that there is a spectrum of complexity ranging from certainly not alive, to certainly alive. The simplest bacteria alive today is likely much more complex than its original predecessor.

Offline thelastman

• View Profile
Hi everyone!

This one really bothers me.

Virus are the most simplest living thing in the world. (Yes, we are not into debating virus as living object or not). One might thought we started with virus. The problem is, viruses need other living cells to cling to.

Read "At Home in the Universe" by Stuart Kauffman:  when a complex mix of chemistry reaches a sufficient level of complexity, autocatalytic sets begin to emerge and these become the progenitors of life.  Read the book and you'll say to yourself, "I ain't drivin' no further.  I'm stopping here". :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length