The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Scientific Oddities  (Read 4631 times)

Offline PhysicsPhreak044

• First timers
    • View Profile
Scientific Oddities
« on: 26/07/2005 05:40:54 »
okay i have a few questions . i hope someone can respond to me with some real answers that i seek.

first off.. im completely fascinated by the speed of light.. however i have never taken a modern physics class so i dont know many things... i know about Time Dilation and the Twin Paradox Theorum.  I also know about Displacement Contraction and Virtual Elongation.. however what are other features and characteristics of objects when they come close or attain the speed of light?

secondly.. how the hell can the universe be infinite .. however ever-expanding.. i know and believe its true.. but how? can someone relay this message in 12th.. AP Physics Terms?

thirdly.. some of you might disagree with me.. but i whole heartedly believe that aliens really exist.  i believe the universe is too large for there not to be any other living creatures out there. there are billions of stars in our solar system.. there are billions of solar systems in our galaxy.. there are billions of galaxies in our universe.. how could there NOT be something/someone else out there? think of it this way.. the human race has almost narrowed down all the elements known to man on our earth to the most basic particles or what have you.  so if you travel infinitely in one direction in our universe.. you will ultimately reach a spot where you start back from where you begin..and essentially.. you will discover a pattern in the elements and particles.  so doesnt that mean that someone out there.. are our carbon copies?

granted.. im no scholar in this subject.. but one day i want to be.  someone please help me with what i think

Offline Pablo

• View Profile
Re: Scientific Oddities
« Reply #1 on: 26/07/2005 19:17:29 »
I have some answers, but I am no expert!

1) Other features of objects when moving close at the speed of light is an increase on their mass. An object travelling at the speed of light would attain an infinite mass, therefore you would need an infinite energy to accelerate it past light's speed. That's why is impossible to go faster than light.

2) The Universe may be open or closed. We don't have a final word on it yet. It depends on how much matter is in the Universe. This is called the critical mass. If there is enough to halt the expansion then the Universe would experience a Big Crunch. Otherwise, it will continue to expand for ever. However, there is some evidence that points to an open Universe, time will tell.

3) I believe that Life is a natural phenomenon and not just an accident or special creation. What we have to understand is that aliens don't have to look "humanoids". How about a living mineral or rock or organisms with molecules totally different to DNA?

Pablo Gonzalez

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/07/2005 18:26:24 »
I agree that life will be common if we ever get out of our solar system to look for it. We are finding how common planets are, and just the shear number of stars suggest that there may be tens of thousands of planets just in the Milky Way that have similar temperature zones as we have on Earth that would develope life that we might recognize as similar.

Thought processes as we know them, depend on energy and therefore chemistry. Different life forms may develope based on different chemical reactions. The speed of thought of a rock has got to be a whole lot slower than a human. Also the great distances probabily protect us from more agressive species. Can't always choose your neighbors.

Remember the Rabbi's blessing in Fiddler on the Roof "May the Lord bless and keep the Tsar far from Anatefka". Maybe the speed of light is a good thing.

David

Offline SiC

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/01/2006 11:50:39 »
(1) There is no such thing as phenomenon.

(2) The speed of light is extemely slow compared to other mathmatically proven speeds of projection.

Remember this is a science forum, science is the study of all that is. It dramatically stunts our growth when statements like "That's why is impossible to go faster than light." are being assumed by the poster to be absolutes.

Jack

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 02/01/2006 15:45:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by David Sparkman

I agree that life will be common if we ever get out of our solar system to look for it. We are finding how common planets are, and just the shear number of stars suggest that there may be tens of thousands of planets just in the Milky Way that have similar temperature zones as we have on Earth that would develope life that we might recognize as similar.

No two stars, and no two planets, are likely to be exact clones of each other.  What we don't know is haw narrow a range of similarities need to exist for life, in a form we would recognise as such, to exist on it.

quote:

Thought processes as we know them, depend on energy and therefore chemistry. Different life forms may develope based on different chemical reactions. The speed of thought of a rock has got to be a whole lot slower than a human.

Are not the computers we build essentially made of rocks (i.e. minerals, albeit, purified minerals) does that seem yo slow down their thought processes much?

quote:

Also the great distances probabily protect us from more agressive species. Can't always choose your neighbors.

What do you mean by aggression?

We may regard the shooting of a tiger as an act of aggression, but would you regard the use of bleach to kill bacteria as an act of aggression?  Maybe an alien life form would look at us as if we were bacteria would that make them an aggressive species?  Maybe we would look upon them as if they were bacteria?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/01/2006 17:33:14 »
quote:
Are not the computers we build essentially made of rocks (i.e. minerals, albeit, purified minerals) does that seem yo slow down their thought processes much?

Do computers think?

another_someone

« Reply #6 on: 03/01/2006 22:15:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver

Do computers think?

If you want to tell me what thought is, then we might be able to determine whether computers do it.

I cannot imagine that whatever it is that thought is, that electronic machines of some kind could not be built that would perform the same process.  I cannot see that organochemistry is a prerequisite for thought.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 03/01/2006 22:15:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums