The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Mad scientists  (Read 3982 times)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Mad scientists
« on: 27/07/2005 02:59:26 »
Mad scientists

I've heard there are a few of them on this forum ,ive even heard it mentioned about a naked one. whatever next.

I heard that some of the cleverist people in history were mad. Is there or could there be a link between high intelligence and madness.

And Can the brain overload,is there a limit on how much imformation the human brain can hold.

« Last Edit: 27/07/2005 03:27:39 by ukmicky »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Mad scientists
« Reply #1 on: 27/07/2005 08:33:04 »
I think there is a link between 'madness' and greatness and it comes down to the fact that whacky people, whose minds are unconstrained by the boundaries of rational thought, are often likely to stray accidentally into intellectual territories that might previously have proved impenetrable to their normal counterparts.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/07/2005 10:33:57 »
Most certainly in the arts will you find some of the most eccentric people, the same definitely applies to the science community....I personally think you're all nuts !!

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #3 on: 28/07/2005 01:31:32 »
I heard a while back that they found a genetic relationship between schizophrenia and creativity.
dont know if it was ever proved or not but was just wondering.

And are there regions of the brain that are not used for used for anything or are still a mystery

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28/07/2005 02:31:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky

I heard a while back that they found a genetic relationship between schizophrenia and creativity.
dont know if it was ever proved or not but was just wondering.

And are there regions of the brain that are not used for used for anything or are still a mystery

Seems we may be on the same wavelength Michael...check THIS OUT !!

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!
« Last Edit: 28/07/2005 02:32:21 by neilep »

Offline anthony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/07/2005 00:55:56 »
The link between "madness" and genius is well established in all the creative arts but probably less obvious in the sciences, though perhaps some measure of paranoia helps. Need I mention prohets and Joan of Arc, "Kill the English, kill the English"? Of course these days we medicate such people for their benefit...
A medic friend of mine once told me there was a predisosition to manic depression in the middle classes, it's what's required to be successful in business apparently.

Offline simeonie

• View Profile
    • http://www.simeonie.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 30/07/2005 10:03:36 »
Maybe when people become so much more intelligent than everyone else around them some of the intelligent people may feel superior and powerful and the "power" would turn them nuts

----------------------
-__- my website!!!!
http://www.simeonie.co.uk
has forums too!
Think about it! lolz

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30/07/2005 13:00:59 »
Don't worry, be happy...
I think they tried that in Brave New World, consult with "D" types.

Creativity often comes with pain or even from pain and worry. When I create a conplex program, I get all sorts of complements on it, but I can only see the flaws and weaknesses in the program. It is the same with painters and other artists. Right now I am goofing off rather than work on my next masterpiece because I really don't want the pain and frustration that comes with creating the best that I can do. But then I have to eat. But on the other hand, this one masterpiece, if I can ever complete it will feed me for the next 10 years.

Your madness is my genius, what do I care for your opinion. Arrrgh..

(takes his be happy pill).
Sorry about that, I will try to be a polite human being again.

David

Offline Allison

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08/08/2005 03:53:48 »
There is a link between autism and creativity.  Researchers have found that if some of these severely autistic yet brilliantly creative people are placed on meds, intensive therapy, etc., they tend to lose their creativity as they respond to treatment.  I'll try to remember where I read that so I can back myself up on that...

Ah--here it is:  Scientific American Mind January 2004; Islands of Genius by Darold A. Treffert and Gregory L. Wallace.

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08/08/2005 13:07:38 »
I can testify on that one. One doctor tried me on prozac as a weight reducer. The effect was that I felt that I didn't care anymore about anything. And I didn't want to work. My work is creating new programs, so I would say that prozac killed my creativitiy. I dropped the medication after two days and am back to the stress and strain of an artist.

David

Offline memasa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09/08/2005 15:53:43 »
This is more or less unrelated to the topic, but I would like ask what's generally the most creative moment of 24 hours.
I have found out that I'm most creative in the middle of the night (if I happen to wake up, that is) between 3 and 4. This must have something to do with the subconscious...
Sometimes when I wake up at night I write my thoughts down, censuring myself as little as possible, and often in the morning I'm like "Was it me who wrote this stuff". It's really interesting!
« Last Edit: 09/08/2005 16:41:46 by memasa »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 09/08/2005 15:53:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums