The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it possible to alter the flow of water with a magnetic field?  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Can magnetic fields have an effect on the flow of water?

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
It is called Magnetohydrodynamics.
The link is to a Wiki article about it. The water would need an additive to make it electrically conductive.

Quote from: the link
Magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) (magnetofluiddynamics or hydromagnetics) is the academic discipline which studies the dynamics of electrically conducting fluids. Examples of such fluids include plasmas, liquid metals, and salt water. The word magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) is derived from magneto- meaning magnetic field, and hydro- meaning liquid, and -dynamics meaning movement. The field of MHD was initiated by Hannes Alfvén[1], for which he received the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1970.

The idea of MHD is that magnetic fields can induce currents in a moving conductive fluid, which create forces on the fluid, and also change the magnetic field itself. The set of equations which describe MHD are a combination of the Navier-Stokes equations of fluid dynamics and Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism. These differential equations have to be solved simultaneously, either analytically or numerically. MHD is a continuum theory and as such it cannot treat kinetic phenomena, i.e. those in which the existence of discrete particles or of a non-thermal velocities distribution, are important.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Thanks, so if I pass a current through some salt water (not that I'm planning to) it'll be affected by the magnetic field?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Also, water is diamagnetic, a strong enough field gradient will repel it.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums