The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does space ever end?  (Read 5477 times)

Offline gurpal

• View Profile
Does space ever end?
« on: 21/06/2009 15:30:02 »
gurpal asked the Naked Scientists:

does space ever end?

What do you think?

lyner

Does space ever end?
« Reply #1 on: 21/06/2009 23:21:22 »
No. There is no 'edge'. You can't be outside space or there would be somewhere 'to be in'. That would constitute more space.  So there can't be an edge. That doesn't mean that space needs to be infinite - indeed, it is pretty certain that it is NOT infinite.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
Does space ever end?
« Reply #2 on: 22/06/2009 01:33:00 »
I think my head just exploded

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Does space ever end?
« Reply #3 on: 22/06/2009 01:52:55 »
If singularities can exist, then space could be infinite.  QM doesn't like singularities though, but still can't do gravity, so I think it's still debatable ;)

In the curvature of space model of gravity, there's scope for infinite space around a black hole (this is also debatable though).
« Last Edit: 22/06/2009 01:54:28 by LeeE »

lyner

Does space ever end?
« Reply #4 on: 22/06/2009 09:31:55 »
Singularities are just Maths, as far a I'm concerned.
It's far too easy to write down "1/x",  discuss what happens as x approaches zero and then say what the real world is like, based on that. Within Maths, that stuff is OK but why should one expect a direct mapping of Maths (something entirely in our heads) with reality?
Everyone is quite happy with the notion of Science following 'straight line graph' Laws over a limited range of values and then 'going wrong'.
Why do people not want to accept that reality could depart from 1/x type relationships? Maths is just a model - not the real thing.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Does space ever end?
« Reply #5 on: 22/06/2009 18:42:28 »
It's not just a question of maths (and I'm not going to argue the applicability of maths to the real world) but also of logic, which does apply to the real world.  Both logic true and false represent mutually exclusive singularities.  Just because some people have problems with singularities doesn't mean that they can't exist ;D

lyner

Does space ever end?
« Reply #6 on: 22/06/2009 19:13:34 »
Fair enough but I guess I have to ask how 'extreme' does it need to get at a singularity? Is there a 'flat bottom, somewhere down there? If so, how far down?

Offline erickejah

• Parking? I make my own parking spot!!
    • View Profile
Does space ever end?
« Reply #7 on: 22/06/2009 21:49:26 »
Fair enough but I guess I have to ask how 'extreme' does it need to get at a singularity? Is there a 'flat bottom, somewhere down there? If so, how far down?

I had this random tough, of using the electromagnetic force equation in junction with the Gravitational force equation to come with the radius of the universe, can it be possible? i know that there is no -mass, but crossing the line of the universe (if there is one) nobody knows that, so I'm wondering if we can interpolate the radius by using the force of the great attractor... ???

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Does space ever end?
« Reply #8 on: 23/06/2009 19:19:57 »

I'm not quite clear on what you mean by a 'flat bottom' in this context.  The speed of light 'c' is what immediately came to mind as I started reading your question, but now I don't think I've interpreted it correctly.

Offline analynsarte

• First timers
    • View Profile
Does space ever end?
« Reply #9 on: 26/06/2009 08:31:50 »
"does space ever end?"
i will not say no nor yes... we don't actually know, everything that the scientist discover is subject to change. everything here on earth changes...

-----------
newbielink:http://www.ichatscience.com/ [nonactive]

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Does space ever end?
« Reply #10 on: 26/06/2009 08:43:23 »
The problem I have with any concept of there being a boundary to the universe or a curvature, is quite simply what is beyond that boundary? Surely the answer must be more space?!?! So my view is that there is no end. Humans, with our finite world, cannot an do not have the ability to conceive of a notion such as infinity.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Does space ever end?
« Reply #11 on: 26/06/2009 14:07:11 »
Oh we humans can conceive of infinity, but we've got to be very careful when we do it; it's very easy to apply it inappropriately and get meaningless results.

For example, a circular path can be said to have no boundaries and to be unlimited; any start or end point is arbitrary.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Does space ever end?
« Reply #11 on: 26/06/2009 14:07:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums