The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Forward or backwards in time ? where R U going ?  (Read 6067 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Forward or backwards in time ? where R U going ?
« on: 31/07/2005 12:02:22 »
If you had ONE chance to time travel, with the total assurance that your actions would have no time paradoxical consequenceces at all and the gurantee of your safe return, would you go forwards or backwards ?...you could go and see the dinosaurs for instance !...see if Jesus really did exist ! jump aboard Noahs Ark, or even see the birth of the Universe !...or jump ahead to enjoy the benefits of space travel and new technology and discovery, or the annihilation of our planet either by our means or when the sun performs the ultimate BBQ....or any time line you choose !

Forwards or backwards ?

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
Re: Forward or backwards in time ? where R U going ?
« Reply #1 on: 31/07/2005 16:36:09 »
Forwards, got a good idea of what was... or can guess, whereas the future is completely unknown! :D Plus I want to see the neat technology they have. Depends if you can travel through space too, cos in the distant future its likely where I am is going to be underwater ;)

I think I would want to go so far ahead in time that humans wont exist anymore... say a hundred million years, maybe a bit more.

The end of life on Earth is a bit too far ahead for me... I doubt I will comprehend any of the life around me :D over 4 billion years away with luck.

wOw the world spins?
« Last Edit: 31/07/2005 16:44:03 by Ultima »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31/07/2005 17:26:42 »
Yep...me too !!...forward all the way for me too....I suppose it would have to be on the premise that you wouldn't be able to retain any of the info you've learned...which is a shame cos on the way back I'd like to stop off and get the next few weeks lottery results !

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 31/07/2005 18:44:01 »
Way back??? I don't want to come back :D Just keep going further forwards!

wOw the world spins?

Offline simeonie

• View Profile
    • http://www.simeonie.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 31/07/2005 21:27:11 »
Hmm well I like it where I am but the future would be cool coz it would be interesting to see what everything would be like.
Thinking bout it though past would be too because seeing the dinosaurs I mean wow it would be magnificent!

----------------------
-__- my website!!!!
http://www.simeonie.co.uk
has forums too!
Think about it! lolz

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 31/07/2005 22:46:46 »
Until you get munched for lunch! Or you sneeze wiping them all out ;). But if you couldn’t interact with them sort of "out of time" I guess it would be cool.

wOw the world spins?

Offline Anna83

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01/08/2005 14:32:03 »
Hey there! This is my first post ever!! HOw exciting :) I have to say that I'm going to disagree with you all and say I'd go back in time. I could go and spout out the idea of gravity before Newton; reel off a bit of general relativity; and discover all the planets in our solar system at once. Pretty easy way to become the most famous scientist of all time :P If I went forward in time, I'd be bound to look stupid!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01/08/2005 14:35:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by Miss A Woo

Hey there! This is my first post ever!! HOw exciting :) I have to say that I'm going to disagree with you all and say I'd go back in time. I could go and spout out the idea of gravity before Newton; reel off a bit of general relativity; and discover all the planets in our solar system at once. Pretty easy way to become the most famous scientist of all time :P If I went forward in time, I'd be bound to look stupid!

Well you're famous now !!..and welcome to the site....congrats on this being your first post ever....just don't make it your last now eh ?

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #8 on: 02/08/2005 01:14:10 »
Miss a Woo
I would have to go forwards in time 10.000 years or so , to the point where they.ve learnt how to go back in time.
Collect all the science,astromony and medical books i can find, come back  and be more famous than WOO.

Neil you always get to Woo the new female members first.

shame they never post a pic.
« Last Edit: 02/08/2005 02:52:35 by ukmicky »

Offline finchbeak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02/08/2005 05:29:48 »
My interest in phylogeny would encourage me to go back to some moment that would shed some light on some evolutionary relationships.  I would like to know about the phylogenetic relationships among various ferns, for example, and I would like to know more about how the earliest flowering plants are related to the gnetophytes.  But all of these kinds of inquiries would require one to hang around for a million years or more.  Yawn!
So here's another idea: I am very curious about what caused the Permian extinction.  There was almost certainly a confluence of factors interacting over a period of many thousands of years... again too long, but it would be very satisfying to know more about this great mystery.
So here's a more specific moment: the Creataceous/Tertiary event.  This mass extinction happened in a time frame of just a few years.  Unfortunately, there is little doubt these days that this event was caused by a very large asteroid collision at what is now the tip of the Yucatan penninsula, so I don't think there's much of a mystery there.  However, you would get to see the very last dinosaurs, and the fireworks would be spectacular!  Yes, the more I think about it, the more the Cretaceous/Tertiary event sounds delicious.

Offline kenshin

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28/08/2005 16:39:53 »
I will prefer forward.It will be cool to learn of a groundbreaking theory that is yet to come and then to win a noble prize for that.

Offline Razor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28/08/2005 18:10:36 »
I'd go forward in time first, so far that im sure that they'd have made the time machine by then, then, go back in time 2000BC to see how the egyptians built the pyramids, return to 3,000AD to get the lastest weapon technology, then, go back to 0C and see if Jesus was real, then i'd go back to the present, present proof of Jesus and How Egyptains built Pyramids, then take over the world with my Futuristic Weapons of Mass Destruction.

-----------------------
Xbox Live GamerTag: RazorXV7/ /RazorXV9

"If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life."
-Brooke Shields

"A verbal contract is not worth the paper it's written on."
-Samuel Goldwyn

"The private enterprise system indicates that some people have higher incomes than others."
-Gerry Brown

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30/08/2005 03:59:19 »
Well, what if the time machine did take you forward a few years and they were waiting for you - with weapons drawn - would be dictator with WMD's!

Or you went back in time and noticed that due to some fluke in your machine, it had not calculated the position of the earth correctly 2 million years ago, and you were floating in space 100 years behind the position of the earth in the galexy. (dang gravitational equation)

David

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 30/08/2005 08:41:21 »
Going backwards has its benefits. Just simple knowledge of science and applying it would look like "magic" to people 2000+ years ago. You could live as a King or possibly the son of God? Jesus was some immoral time traveller!

wOw the world spins?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 30/08/2005 08:41:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length