The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: head injury  (Read 2652 times)

Offline deb

• First timers
    • View Profile
head injury
« on: 31/07/2005 20:59:42 »
I would appreciate any help or information.

Nearly 3 years ago I had a fall and was knocked unconcious for approx 20 mins. When I came to, there was a puddle of blood from my nose and I had two black eyes. From then on I suffered headaches, dizzyness and visual disturbances. After a few weeks of severe headaches I visited an optician who advised me to go to the GP or Hospital as soon as possible because of the presence of pappilodaema in both eyes. After a visit to the local Accident and Emergency hospital the doctor diagnosed Benign Intercranial Hypertention, subsequently I have had Diamox prescribed to various levels, had multiple Lumber Punctures and finaly a VP Shunt. The headaches and visual disturbance have continued along with aches and pains in my neck and left arm. I have had some relief from my symptoms with deep massage to the neck and shoulders. I am concerned that the injuries from my accident are more relevant to my current state than my consultants recognise, if this is the case, should I be looking for additional/alternative treatment? Is there any connection between head injuries and visual loss/disturbances or any research to help me find a way forward.
Any information or leads would be appreciated.

Dabra Johnston.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: head injury
« Reply #1 on: 31/07/2005 22:18:40 »
Debra...I just wanted to welcome you here to this site and wish you all the very best for what was obviously quite a trauma !!..stick with us and hopefully some advice will ensue.

Best Wishes

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Allison

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/08/2005 06:27:16 »

This website, newbielink: [nonactive], may be able to give you some information.  Have you seen a neurologist?  What were your other injuries?  I am not a doctor, but the pain in your neck and arm sounds like you might have damaged something other than your head when you fell, especially since massage help the pain a bit.  You might (if you haven't done already) get an xray of your neck and back.

Wish I could be of more help.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 21/08/2005 06:27:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums