The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Help EGR valve blew and stranded Children in Washington State...need diagnosis?  (Read 6192 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Well my kids are stuck in Middle of Nowhere in
Washington!

Ok....Something Blew out the whole side of the of the EGR  valve!..

My Daughter is not mechanical.... the valve seemed to be hooked to the vacumn lines so they were stuck in wheat fields in Washington....IEI called her back and let her talk to her brother who tld them to ry and block off the vacumn lines and drive it somewhere to get help.... they had nothing to block it with. My Nephew drove two hours with new valve. He went home...John Replaced the blown valve and they just got back on the road! Wd minutes later the new valve did the same thing.

now they are stuck again! John has replugged the vacumn line and they are currently trying to get it home...They are pretty broke and the repair places do not want to accept my credit card without me being their with my ID!

So they are tryin to drive home like that... Its another 11 hours home or more.

ncan any one help diagnose why the valve has blown  twice..

I am thinking its her Catyletic converter being blocked up and loading up all that exhaust and crud into th ER VALVE...is that possible... I am no mechanic but could that be a possible cause for it to blow both valves!

She is driving a 05 Ford Escape ...??? I can't remember the engine size? 4. somethin I think!

Is she going to dammage her engine doing this?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
hey they made it home a few moments ago.. worn out but plugging the vacumn line worked to get them home...Idaho, Washington, Oregon, to California..safe and sound!

Could still like to know if the catalytic converter could possibly blow a hole in the EGR Valve if it was clogged up?

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
hey they made it home a few moments ago.. worn out but plugging the vacumn line worked to get them home...Idaho, Washington, Oregon, to California..safe and sound!

Could still like to know if the catalytic converter could possibly blow a hole in the EGR Valve if it was clogged up?

Hi Karen!
(How are you doing?)

Yes, indeed...it COULD be a clogged catalytic converter!!!  ;)

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102279

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Hi Iko.. I am OK.. Pretty Tired this last few weeks a bit worn out...

Hope you are both well!

Thanks for the post and yes it was indeed the catalytic converter, The thing has two and the back one went out!  The thing burned out two EGR vales and melted the soup out of something in their,, turned out it was the cap to the master cylinder that melted it got so hot and then it blew a whole through the EGR valves... They plugged it off nd gimped home.. Thanks for the post it helped us.. Ended up costing MOM $500.00 US. They were delivered safely home though.. Sorry it took me so long to reply back IKO... Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: 12/07/2009 08:19:52 by Karen W. »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums