The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Iko? Can one autoimmune disease make another such as arthritis worse ?  (Read 3674 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I am having real problems with this Arthritis it has really gotten bad quickly!

Now already having a problem with this Hashimoto's disease...can one get another type of autoimmune which could hasten or make worse more rapidly the already existing problem with Arthritis....I seem to be having problems with two different types...arthritis that is.

Is this common... can Lupis or other autoimmunes cause your arthritis to worsen...???

I know one can have more then one as I do...but how do you figure out whats causing what?
« Last Edit: 27/06/2009 05:21:30 by Karen W. »

Offline carreerslut

• View Profile
Hi.  Answer is yes.  Loads of studies around showing that having one autoimune condition pedisposes you to others.  Not sure whether you have lupus or not, not clear.  Are you sure the problem is arthritis?  Just a thought but if you have thyroid problems there is a possibility that you are not absorbing calcium well, which as you probably know is not good for your bones.  It could be that there is an element of osteoporosis going on?

I recommend getting a full blood test done, to test for raised ESR and rheumatoid factor, to see if arthritis really is the problem.  Also getting blood calcium and vitamin d levels would be useful.  If it is Lupus beware, it is a tricky disease.  So many time bloods come back normal and yet the disease is active.  It takes an experienced expert to sort out whether this is the problem or not.  Too many doctors rely too heavily on basic blood tests such as ANA, dismiss lupus when they come back negative, and the patient is left undiagnosed unecessarily.  Like MS, another autoimmuine disease, it is a tricky condition, more a case of looking at the whole syndrome than a one off foolproof test.

In your case I hope too you have a good endocrinologist.  Anything which interferes with hormones will inevitably have a systemic effect.

Work on you general health, and accept that right now your body is confused, fighting itself instead of intruders.  At the bottom end of the scale is allergic reactions, at the top end the serious conditions described.  And be careful of your use of treatments for your conditions, they may give long term problems.  Always balance out whether you can tolerate the symptoms with whether you need the treatment.  If you are not in mortal danger, sometimes it is preferable to just let the body be for a while, it is very good at treating itself.  Use your judgement to know when it is right to ask for help, and then accept what you are offered.  Better to be alive with a few side effects if things get very bad!  Hope it doesn't come to that.  Be well.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I have been checked for lupis and I thought I was clear..but the doctor says there is another auto immune problem but we have as of yet got a complete diagnosis.. I believe they know more then I do as I do not understand half of what is in my reports. My folder has gotten so large that I am afraid to know every detail,,, I am just trying to deal with what each day brings and I am already trying to limit medications to what I absolutely have to have and at this point I at 14 and it has been way worse so I am not complaining. Just trying different methods of relieving the pain now,, try to keep exercising which has become more difficult as In the morning it takes me a full trip up the hall and back to the bedroom to get into a standing position and get my hip to work. It is extremely painful. If I sit for a bit without my feet up I start all over... I feel as though I were 80 years old in my body movement and it has gotten 50 times worse since 2007.
Anyway thank you for your guidance... may I ask what you do.. or have you just had lots of dealings with autoimmune disease yourself?
« Last Edit: 29/06/2009 10:09:17 by Karen W. »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums