The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Exercise  (Read 3692 times)

drkev

Exercise
« on: 01/08/2005 23:05:36 »
I just returned from a Jujutsu class. I have not trained for 4 years. In fact the only exercise I have got in the last 4 years is pressing the button on the remote control. Going to that lesson was the hardest thing I have ever done. I kept feeling as though I was going to pass out. I saw stars, I struggled to catch my breath. I kept YAWNING constantly. I think my yawning was not so much to do with tiredness but the oxygen defecit my body was experiencing. Yawning is a great way to get oxygen into your body.

I might take an oxygen cylinder and a non-rebreath mask to my next lesson hee hee should make it a bit easier lol.

I really felt like crap, I couldn't even go five minutes without feeling like ****e. I really just wanted to pass out and throw up. I wasn't even doing anything too strenous just basic moves which weren't very aerobic. The instructor said they take more effort than you realise and it is very tiring even for the experts. 4 years ago I was a black belt and could pull them off no problem.

Am I just unfit or do I have a serious underlying medical problem? I'm being very serious here as my father died at 38 from a heart attack and I am determined to make sure it doesn't happen to me by getting fit and staying fit.

Are the "symptoms" I experienced this evening simply me being unfit or is there a problem I need to get checked out?

I rested for 15 minutes when I got so ill I couldn't stand and the "symptoms" passed. I am concerned because I got so ill just from 10 minutes excercise. My isntructor who is a qualified sports therapist, PE teacher and Physiotherapist said I am simply unfit and after a month or so I will be fine.

Also, I pass out and feel sick every time I do a forward roll. I'm going to get my ears checked out because I think it might be a wax problem (I have kinked ear canals, it affects my balance sometimes.)

But after what happened to my Dad I am paranoid about dying. Sounds pathetic I know but I am actually scared of exercise now.

I would appreciate your comments.

Live long and Love life

Kevin Fisher

Offline MyDogDaisy

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Exercise
« Reply #1 on: 02/08/2005 05:23:38 »
The same thing happens to me when I exercise too Kevin. I think it is just because I am so heavy and my heart is out of shape because of it. I am no doctor by any means, but I would say just keep doing what you can. Don't try to push yourself too hard since it has been so long since your last workout ( I believe you said 4 years ) and if you really feel ill then talk to your doctor. Go with your gut if you think it is something serious.
Jujitsu sounds fun by the way. :)

drkev

« Reply #2 on: 02/08/2005 12:57:50 »
Well my instructor is a qualified sports therpaist, physio and school teacher so Im going to see what happens after a month or so of training.

If it was any other isntructor i wouldnt listen but he has genuine qualifications not just a black belt joe bloggs issued.

I did feel pretty good after the lesson though and if I rest im fine so I think it's just lack of fitness. I was going to start jogging but the problem is I have virtually no motivation whatsoever. And as soon as I feel pain I stop because I dont like pain. I dont see how people can enjoy exercise because I HATE it. I loved Jujutsu and I really wanna get back in to it and maybe compete if time allows.

But the way im looking at it is if cancer sufferers can run marathons then I can get fit and do  jujutsu class and a bit of jogging.

Live long and Love life

Kevin Fisher

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/08/2005 13:48:29 »
....You hit the nail there...it IS a lack of fitness !..I've experienced this many times myself !..I used to be an avid athelete, representing my county as a pentathlete, played a lot of squash and badminton etc....a few years out of it and trying to get back into it is a real shock to the system  !..you just have to do it gradually...you're just out of practise/practice !

Cancer sufferers can be quite ill but also fit because of training and continuity in their frequency of exercise...soemthing which you and I have to get back into !

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

drkev

« Reply #4 on: 02/08/2005 15:20:39 »
Just in case anybody misundestands my reason for mentioning cancer sufferers and takes offence what I meant to say was that if people suffering from cancer can take up sport and be fit then so can I. My friend has lupus yet she runs several marathons a year.

I am sure that I am just unfit but if someone with a horrific and painful illness can do it then I'm sure that I can stop complaining and just get on with it. Fight through that pain (but rest when i feel like s hit.)

Live long and Love life

Kevin Fisher

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/08/2005 17:18:29 »
I personally saw nothing offensive in your post Kevin

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline MyDogDaisy

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/08/2005 18:01:09 »
Neither did I! I got what you were trying to say Kevin.
I'm sure that in a month you will feel much better after a class, and during too! I have been exercising for a couple of months now (with the FIRM) and while it is still hard for me to complete, I notice that it takes a little longer for my heart rate to get up to that "out of my chest" feeling.

You guys tell me things all the time I think is stupid until I hear it from somebody else

Offline VAlibrarian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/08/2005 01:57:56 »
I am no expert on exercise and in fact am not in good shape myself at age 49: proper weight for my height, yes, but still out of shape.
My suggestion would be to "work up" to something as strenuous as Ju-jitsu. It sounds to me as if the discomfort might be due to lack of aerobic fitness, and that doing a fast mile of walking several times per week, building to a bit of slow jogging later on, would be a way of working back to heart/lung fitness. At my age I would not jump into something really tough because I have no wish to have a heart episode. Aerobic fitness can be done over time with limited stress, or suddenly with a lot of stress and some risk.

chris wiegard

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 03/08/2005 01:57:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums