The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does my hand, weakened by a stroke, move better when I yawn?  (Read 4002 times)

Offline MartinTheK

• View Profile
My stroke weakened hand opens very poorly, but if I yawn the extensors kick in and it opens right up.

May I correctly assume that there are some intact nerves still and that I may possibly regain better function if my brain someday retrains?

It also opens if I take a firm grip on my crotch like a 3rd baseman. But I don't think this will ever be accepted by society except perhaps in Arkansas.
« Last Edit: 04/07/2009 19:54:15 by chris »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Yeah.. That might get you some real snarls.. but I really don"t see why.

I have a noticeable weakness on my right side after my TIA,  that they upgraded to a stroke, but it has still not completely better..I am assuming you had a full on stroke?

Offline carreerslut

• View Profile
Not at all the same situation but same problem with wayward nerve.   First I agree that however the nerve is responding, the fact it is responding is a good sign.  Nerves are unpredictable, but any response means the message from the brain and spinal cord is getting through  - result!

Now to my situation.  I broke my ankle some months back.  On it breaking, I was entirely unable to point or flex my foot.  The doctor warned me that if the nerve had been too badly damaged this may be permanent.  Now, two months later and out of plaster, with enormous swelling and pain in the foot still, I am hopeful.  I send the message out from my brain to point my foot, and does it hell...  It twitches, it flexes, it pops up and down, and then points just a fraction of an inch.  I am delighted.  Fact is that any movement means the nerve brain link is intact, now all I have to do is learn to control it so it moves appropriatetly. 

Sounds a little like your situation.  Please do get yourself some phsyiotherapy and excercise daily, never giving up until your hand starts to learn once again.  Ever seen Kill Bill, the scene where she awakes from the coma and spends all night in a stolen car willing her legs to move again, only to get rewarded from the tiniest twitch from her toe?  Not quite how coma victims would recover in reality but the principle was there.  Mind over matter.  No connection, no chance.  Nerve connection there but inappropriate - you're nearly home.  We'll make a brain surgeon of you yet eh?!

Offline MartinTheK

• View Profile
Thanks guys, for the feedback.

As you might guess I've been swotting ( izzat proper brit speak?) this stuff up like a champ. The problem is that most of the literature is about Rhesus monkeys. Possibly relevant to Arkansans,  but I'm a native born Californian -- ever since Grandpa escaped from Fifeshire.

As to PT. I mistakenly thought it would be adequate to not buy health insurance because I was a service connected disabled veteran for high blood pressure.

The local VA Physical therapist was of the opinion that three PT sessions and then "go join a gym." was adequate therapy for a left hemiparesis.

I was forced ultimately to go and complain to the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals (In effect, I beat them severely about the head and shoulders) before sweet reason prevailed.... Long, story short.. my med-surg nursing days are over, but I'm looking into becoming a Certified Diabetes Educator to help keep off dull times. Meanwhile slow, slow but steady progress.....  but sometimes I wonder if the progress will stop ..and I wake up wanting to scream.

(As I write this there is a ginormously fat guy sitting at an outside table smoking a pipe....Why, me?!)

In short, the word "plateau" or "permanent and stationary" should never be accepted by any stroke patient at any time. There are lots of people who will expect you to go sit in front of the TV and watch the Discovery channel until the undertaker comes for you.

Our natural business is to get out of that damned chair (any which way we can) and be about our lawful occasions.

Banzai!

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks guys, for the feedback.

As you might guess I've been swotting ( izzat proper brit speak?) this stuff up like a champ. The problem is that most of the literature is about Rhesus monkeys. Possibly relevant to Arkansans,  but I'm a native born Californian -- ever since Grandpa escaped from Fifeshire.

As to PT. I mistakenly thought it would be adequate to not buy health insurance because I was a service connected disabled veteran for high blood pressure.

The local VA Physical therapist was of the opinion that three PT sessions and then "go join a gym." was adequate therapy for a left hemiparesis.

I was forced ultimately to go and complain to the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals (In effect, I beat them severely about the head and shoulders) before sweet reason prevailed.... Long, story short.. my med-surg nursing days are over, but I'm looking into becoming a Certified Diabetes Educator to help keep off dull times. Meanwhile slow, slow but steady progress.....  but sometimes I wonder if the progress will stop ..and I wake up wanting to scream.

(As I write this there is a ginormously fat guy sitting at an outside table smoking a pipe....Why, me?!)

In short, the word "plateau" or "permanent and stationary" should never be accepted by any stroke patient at any time. There are lots of people who will expect you to go sit in front of the TV and watch the Discovery channel until the undertaker comes for you.

Our natural business is to get out of that damned chair (any which way we can) and be about our lawful occasions.

Banzai!

Hey Martin TheK! I am a native born Northern Californian..  Nice to know you neighbor. I am up Humboldt County!

I hope you progress through this and regain your strength soon.. don't give up! Just keep working on it!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums