The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is the Earth's age in the Bible reported as just thousands of years old?  (Read 32802 times)

Offline Rozz295

• First timers
    • View Profile
How come in the bible it is supposed that the earth is only a few thousand years old, but dinosaur bones have been proven to be over millions of years old? also seven days isn't exactly a long time for the dinosaurs to evolutionize and then die out before Adam and Eve arrived.(genesis 1,55) <and God planted the bones around the earth because he thought it would be funny> bring it on people with facts from your bible...
« Last Edit: 23/07/2009 21:57:09 by chris »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Most of the bible is allegorical fiction, designed to help the few control the many.  It's main purpose was political and it has little to do with facts of any kind.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
It has been suggested by some theologists that the 6 days in which God 'created' everything from the universe to the kitchen sink, were not 'days' at all. They suggest that there has been a misinterpretation and that it was 6 periods of indeterminate lengths.

Of course this still doesn't explain the lack of the bit in the Bible which should read:

"And God created Dinosaurs to rule the Earth.
  And seeing that they were not quite what he had intended as Masters of His creation, He sent an event to slay them all.
  And God saw that His Earthly cock-up had been corrected.
  And God was pleased with His work and went for a cup of tea and a Dinosaur sandwich (since there was an awful lot of Dinosaur meat around).
  And it was lunch time of the third day/week/month/year/decade/century/millennium/epoch/era ..."

Perhaps these theologists should realise, that in accepting that there could be an error in the translation or understanding of the Bible on such an elementry level, they need to accept that the whole book is a catalogue of such misinterpretations, misunderstandings, misquotes, misrelayed and mis-just-about-everything-elses.

The Bible is, however, a Good Book, which does give a good blueprint for how Man should conduct himself. In my opinion it was a well intentioned guide, written over a long period by a lot of well intentioned authors for Man to follow, based largely on the God who was created in it and on some actual people and events.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile

The Bible is, however, a Good Book, which does give a good blueprint for how Man should conduct himself. In my opinion it was a well intentioned guide, written over a long period by a lot of well intentioned authors for Man to follow, based largely on the God who was created in it and on some actual people and events.

all of them?

Offline _Stefan_

• View Profile
    • My Photobucket Album
The Bible is, however, a Good Book, which does give a good blueprint for how Man should conduct himself.

Except for the countless parts that are despicable and unethical by modern and perhaps even biblically contemporaneous standards...

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
The Bible is, however, a Good Book, which does give a good blueprint for how Man should conduct himself.

Except for the countless parts that are despicable and unethical by modern and perhaps even biblically contemporaneous standards...

Erm, well OK, there be a lot o' nasty bits in it too. Maybe they were written by the Brian Garfield's of them thar days!

Now if'n you'll 'scuse me I have to nip out to smite a few folks!

Offline tychobrahe

• View Profile
If the devil went back and planted thousands of bones beneath millions of tons of stone and earth to distract man from the way of God, couldn't he have done the same thing with a thousand pages of rules and regulations for a single tribe in the desert 5000 years ago?  Seems like that later would be an easier and more effective option.  Plus sneaky.  This devil character sounds sooo sneaky.  It'd be right up his alley.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
I reckon the Dinosaurs wrote the bible to mess with our heads !

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
I reckon the Dinosaurs wrote the bible to mess with our heads !

It seems so obvious now that you've mentioned it.

Offline banderson

• First timers
    • View Profile
Normally I don't bite on such baited questions, but I'm in the mood:

Before you ask yourself why it took 6 days to create the earth, ask yourself why God did it twice.  Seriously...go read the first FEW chapters of Genesis, not just the first few verses.

Although as it stands itself, the Bible does not give a reason for this, but I tend to lean towards the popular theory that the first creation described is God planning it out...then when you get to the phrase "...so God created ..." you transition to the actual creation.  In the second description of the creation there is no time frame discussed.

...There...that's my 2 cents...which is obviously aimed at those that believe in the Bible...not intended to prove it to others.

Offline Rozz295

• First timers
    • View Profile
i honestly think that the whole bible was fiction written by some lord of some kind to get his very depressed servants of their asses and to work toward something other than him, also heres an odd coincidence god-good devil-evil, notice the similarities in the word come on that has to have been something made up quickly by the lord or one his scribes

Offline Geoman69

• View Profile
For this type of question, newbielink:http://www.thenakedphilosophers.com [nonactive] might provide more expertise ;) .

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It never says in the Bible that the earth is a few thousand years old.

Blame Bishop Ussher. No one should have paid any attention to him in the first place. He was from Ireland.

Offline Rozz295

• First timers
    • View Profile
oh so we gotta bring the irish into this huh?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
I don't think we should pay any attention to Biblical chronology, they didn't have watches in those days, nor calendars , it would seem.

Adam lived 930 years, and then he died. [Genesis 5:5]

Seth lived 912 years, and then he died. [Genesis 5:8]

Enosh lived 905 years, and then he died. [Genesis 5:11]

Kenan lived 910 years, and then he died. [Genesis 5:14]

Mahalalel lived 895 years, and then he died. [Genesis 5:17]

Jared lived 962 years, and then he died. [Genesis 5:20]

Methuselah lived 969 years, and then he died. [Genesis 5:27]

Lamech lived 777 years, and then he died. [Genesis 5:31]

Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years." [Genesis 6:3]

120 years??? Four score years and ten: Make up your mind.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Four score years and ten

yep, make up yer mind, turtle boy:

one score = 20 (years, in this case)

Lincoln's usage 'four score and seven' - 87 years ago

The Gettysburg Address was given in 1863 - 1776 (Deceleration of Independence) + 87 years = 1863 (the year of the address)

Offline nicephotog

• H h H h H h H h H h
    • View Profile
    • Freeware Downloads
Most of the bible is allegorical fiction, designed to help the few control the many.  It's main purpose was political and it has little to do with facts of any kind

Agreed. But, i believe god exists, but that it is rude to place a name on "the entity being of god is" and that any one set of laws can be correct but should flex to known existant diversions,
HOWEVER.

The bible is a script written by a primitive people whom organised a script and laws for their community and should be read in context of human historical recorded events not paleontological scientific determined events of sciences chemical aberational statistical quantification breakdown.
This is not to say by any means they were right or wrong, simply that decorum or majority rational or consensus among the community of the time historically played a large part in mentioning dates for categorical purpose of writing the manuscripts.
Earths actual age means nothing to it, it is what it is and for its idiosynchratic purpose.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
The good folks at the Discovery Institute in Seattle will be more than happy to 'splain it all to you. They are the inventors of the "Science" of intelligent design. I better say no more. Many folks in these parts take the bible very literally, and they all have guns (strictly for hunting, of course!)

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I started to ask if you lived in Texas, too.

But then I noticed the Selkirk Mountains -

WATCH OUT, BASS !!! YOU'VE GOT A STRANGE NEIGHBOR! CARRY A GUN WHEN YOU ARE IN THE FIELD NEXT WEEK !!!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Yikes! Is that a banjo I hear?

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile

No that's just the Texan drawl...:D

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
(In case you didn't get it, banjo was in ref. to the film "Deliverance")

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Furthermore, the Bible was dead right. The Sun does orbit the Earth.

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Ain't no pigs in these har woods!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
(In case you didn't get it, banjo was in ref. to the film "Deliverance")

If yer a-hearing a banjo then it is from some western hillerbillie up where you live in Iderwhore!

Ain't ya got no learnin'? Deliverance was set in Georgia! To be exact, the Cahulawassee River in a remote part of Northwestern Georgia, part of the Appalachians, whar them thar inbreeded hiller-billies live.

But as'n Bass lives up where near where those new fangled hiller-billies live in Iderwhore then he had better'un take his gun the next time he goes off in'a them thar woods. He ain't no pig, as he said.

Now, there ain't no disrespecting meant. Even though the Selkirk Mountains mountains ARE in Iderwhore (and Wasintone,) them are on the fer side of Iderwhore from where Bass be at.
« Last Edit: 23/08/2009 22:51:13 by JimBob »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums