The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is the Earth's age in the Bible reported as just thousands of years old?  (Read 32808 times)

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
(In case you didn't get it, banjo was in ref. to the film "Deliverance")

If yer a-hearing a banjo then it is from some western hillerbillie up where you live in Iderwhore!

Ain't ya got no learnin'? Deliverance was set in Georgia! To be exact, the Cahulawassee River in a remote part of Northwestern Georgia, part of the Appalachians, whar them thar inbreeded hiller-billies live.

But as'n Bass lives up where near where those new fangled hiller-billies live in Iderwhore then he had better'un take his gun the next time he goes off in'a them thar woods. He ain't no pig, as he said.

Now, there ain't no disrespecting meant. Even though the Selkirk Mountains mountains ARE in Iderwhore (and Wasintone,) them are on the fer side of Iderwhore from where Bass be at.

Does anyone have an English-to-Redneck dictionary??

<<<hides!!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Well, that's as may be JimBob, but a lot o' themuns here has no problem with that new fangled dewar-decimal countin' and banjo pickin'. Just might been that some o'themuns from Appalacha high-tailed it over here on account of some run in with the Feds or sumpin.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Bass must be running an hour ahead of me. Idaho is so big we need TWO time zones. Not even Texas can claim that! But I see Bass is operating on GMT or whatever they call it these days. Must be trying to fool us into thinking he's in Blighty or something.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Well, that's as may be JimBob, but a lot o' themuns here has no problem with that new fangled dewar-decimal countin' and banjo pickin'. Just might been that some o'themuns from Appalacha high-tailed it over here on account of some run in with the Feds or sumpin.

dewar-decimal countin'? That's what they-un use in the book keeper places, ain't it. What-cha-ma-call-em ... ly-berries?  

'Bout them pepele over thar - gettin' away from the feds fer sure!!

Bass must be running an hour ahead of me. Idaho is so big we need TWO time zones. Not even Texas can claim that! But I see Bass is operating on GMT or whatever they call it these days. Must be trying to fool us into thinking he's in Blighty or something.

Bass just puttin' on airs.  He ain't got the sence Gow-ad gave a chicken, he is in Mountain time in Montaner.

Yep, that is "Gow-ad" with two sylalibles.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

If yer a-hearing a banjo then it is from some western hillerbillie up where you live in Iderwhore!

Ain't ya got no learnin'? Deliverance was set in Georgia! To be exact, the Cahulawassee River in a remote part of Northwestern Georgia, part of the Appalachians, whar them thar inbreeded hiller-billies live.

But as'n Bass lives up where near where those new fangled hiller-billies live in Iderwhore then he had better'un take his gun the next time he goes off in'a them thar woods. He ain't no pig, as he said.

Now, there ain't no disrespecting meant. Even though the Selkirk Mountains mountains ARE in Iderwhore (and Wasintone,) them are on the fer side of Iderwhore from where Bass be at.

Does anyone have an English-to-Redneck dictionary??

<<<hides!!

The eyes just don't do it for me. Only bats - really old bats - see in the dark.

I suppose you wish me to use Cokney elocution? That would really confuse the issue. Even the English believe it to be a foreign language!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Well JimBob le'me splain the difference here. I think you be just a mite confused there.

See, what they use in them ly-berries is the Dooweedecibel thing for countin' all them dang books. Lands sakes! I don't know how they do it.

Now, yer dewar-decimal countin' sets in when you has one too many of them high falutin imported Scandynaviant whiskeys ('stead o drinking the good stuff I makes up on the hill) and you thinks you got twelve fingers 'stead o' the eight the Good Lord gave us.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Well JimBob le'me splain the difference here. I think you be just a mite confused there.

See, what they use in them ly-berries is the Dooweedecibel thing for countin' all them dang books. Lands sakes! I don't know how they do it.

Now, yer dewar-decimal countin' sets in when you has one too many of them high falutin imported Scandynaviant whiskeys ('stead o drinking the good stuff I makes up on the hill) and you thinks you got twelve fingers 'stead o' the eight the Good Lord gave us.

Golllll e. naver wood-u gessed'tit,  thak-e

BTW - see upper right corner of this window - a P.M. awaits

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
This is like watching late night TV.....only thing on is a crap western!!! [O8)]

There's injuns in them hills boys...

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Golllll e. naver wood-u gessed'tit,  thak-e

BTW - see upper right corner of this window - a P.M. awaits

Thanks fer splainin - but ain't Dewars the stuff with the feller in a skirt on it? I dun't think it's Scandynaviant - it is from that thar place they have the pond with a real big lizzerd int-it, I do believe.

This is like watching late night TV.....only thing on is a crap western!!! [O8)]

There's injuns in them hills boys...

Dang ferener don't know the injins from us gud guys.

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Don be a fergitten that Georgia be down home country for this redneck.  While the movie was set on the fictional "Cahulawassee River" in Georgia, anyone from northern Georgia knew the river that James Dickey wrote about was the Chattooga River.  In fact, I lived for several summers in Clayton, and even knew a few of the "mountain folks" in the film, including Billy R., the supposed banjo player (personnally, I don't think Billy could pick his nose, let alone a banjo).  While canoeing the Chattooga with friends in July 1971, we happened upon the film crew doing a sequence of rapids for the film.  Great fun- we got to meet the stars and help ferry the canoes back up the river for extra takes.

Quote from: Geezer
Bass must be running an hour ahead of me. Idaho is so big we need TWO time zones. Not even Texas can claim that!

psssst... It's not that Idaho's so big, rather it's that the whole d*mned state is dyslexic

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
JimBob, is you talking 'bout them Galapagen Islands? They sure got some big lizards there. Saw it in the TV jes lasweek. Pretty sure the guys there wear them grass skirts too.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Well y'know Bass, it's a funny thing you should bring that up, 'bout dsylexia an all.

I stopped over at our pastor's place the other day, jes as he was loadin' up the gun rack on his pickup, and he told me he was headin' out to visit with this agnostic ol' boy with some problems.

See, turns out the poor old guy is dyslexic, and he's also an insomniac.

Poor old geezer stays awake all night wondering if there really is a dog.
« Last Edit: 24/08/2009 06:50:50 by Geezer »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
JimBob, is you talking 'bout them Galapagen Islands? They sure got some big lizards there. Saw it in the TV jes lasweek. Pretty sure the guys there wear them grass skirts too.

Naw  it's a place chock full ov redtoped sissies in plad skirts - somwher its cold and you'd neever go outside without your shootin' iron caus Dunstane Woods moves towards your castle. And that lizerd is in a lock, not a pond, now I 'member. OH - an yep they have three nekked witches there, two.

As fer your paster - hope he did't go an' shoot that there dog. Could get a little ruff, ruff fer him.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
I git it now! You means that place where ol' wotsisname come from. Wait, it's comin' to me ....Mel something....Mel Gibbon! Saw that movie on the TV las' week too.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Yep - thaat ape

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
I think the Earth is said to first of all be regenerated thousands of years ago, from Genesis 1:1. First of all it was there.

The persons like Adam, lived before the approximate 120 year age limit set by God after the flood.

The mountains, moon craters and light from stars are millions of years old.

It is Adam and his offspring that have only been around for 6000 years.

Offline Dimi

• Prone to rambling
    • View Profile
Well, it must of had a VERY significant impact on the way our thoughts operated. Because if we so readily accept B/C and A/D ~ There must of been a big event in the past. Unfortunantely no one knows what.

Anyway, its good that there was a thought transformation in working towards something more structured. I think it was a big thanks to Christainity. Of course... despite the whole being controlled by the churchs things and burning of free-thought people. But, what would our history be like if Christainity never took of as it is? Its deep rooted and affected us alot ~ There may of possibly been a time measurement in set back way then! But we can't know for sure.

anyhow... you all have your hill billy fun :P

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Where would we be without Christianity???

Perhaps we would still be worshiping Zeus, Jupiter, Amun Ra, Odin.

The Abrahamic religions were not the first. 'God' is predated by Zeus and Amun Ra, and probably they were predated by others of whom we have no record.

Offline Dimi

• Prone to rambling
    • View Profile
It's interesting to think about really.

I think its safe to say it was the first (recorded) attempt at unifying people at a mass proportion. I wonder what took place to really provoke something like that.

Though, I do not know if we would all be Pagan's. The Christains took care of that really, but if say the dark ages never occured, what change would that bring? What would we lose? Would it delay us?

(They fight against evolution, but ironicly I see it as that they provoked evolution of a different kind)
« Last Edit: 18/09/2009 15:44:30 by Dimi »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Back on topic please. This is not a forum on religion. It is a science forum.

Offline grandmattyp

• First timers
    • View Profile
I know I'm a bit late to the discussion, but I still haven't seen a scientific answer to the question. would anyone like to engage the question without relying on ridiculous preconceptions and misinterpretations?

Maybe a scientific approach to the Bible would reveal it has fewer inaccuracies than you might assume.

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Maybe a scientific approach to the Bible would reveal it has fewer inaccuracies than you might assume.
I have a feeling I'm going to regret this...

Care to give us some examples of the inaccurate inaccuracies?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
I have a feeling I'm going to regret this...

Care to give us some examples of the inaccurate inaccuracies?

For crying out loud Bass! Don't you have some flies that need tying, or some rocks to play with? Sheesh!

Offline rcbako

• First timers
    • View Profile
I think the reason behind is that the reckoning of God is different from what we have right now. one thousand years for us is only about one day for him. Dinosaurs may live millions of years ago as proven by fossils but bible doesn't speak it.

Offline Lor

• View Profile
Furthermore, the Bible was dead right. The Sun does orbit the Earth.

lol @ geezer...2 points )

How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?"

seriously-think for yourself,objectively,educate yourself and you too will see the light..lol

;)

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums