The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: magnetism question  (Read 1317 times)

Offline thebrain13

• View Profile
magnetism question
« on: 30/06/2009 23:49:52 »
Lets say you had a circular stretchy wire that as a whole was neutrally charged. But it had a negatively charged substance inside that traveled round and round.

My question is, would the stretchy wire feel magnetism and shrink or expand, or would it not move change?

lyner

magnetism question
« Reply #1 on: 01/07/2009 10:05:20 »
You have just described a loop made of very soft metal.
Put a battery in circuit (that wouldn't violate anything) and you have a single loop of wire with current flowing round it.
There will be a small force on each section of the loop,  pushing the wire outward.
I have never seen it done but I am sure that someone must have done this experiment using a circular trough of mercury and a hefty car battery.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
magnetism question
« Reply #2 on: 01/07/2009 10:45:37 »
If the generated magnetic field is large so also are the forces expanding the loop, superconducting magnets have to be constructed in a very strong manner as the have a tendency to explode.

lyner

magnetism question
« Reply #3 on: 01/07/2009 15:29:06 »
Yes, aren't they? A current carrying wire in the field of a superconducting magnet would experience a very strong force - with the field  normal to the wire.
F = BiL (to coin a phrase).
The field around each piece of wire in the coils will be similar, I think - so lots of force.
(Even a little transformer will shake itself to bits if it isn't screwed up tight).
« Last Edit: 01/07/2009 15:33:25 by sophiecentaur »

The Naked Scientists Forum

magnetism question
« Reply #3 on: 01/07/2009 15:29:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums