The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do I get my maiden Hair fern to multiply?  (Read 4922 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
How do I get my maiden Hair fern to multiply?
« on: 01/07/2009 07:45:53 »
Here a a picture of a much bigger one then mine..

Mine is far less sparse but quite delicate.. I love it! It only comes up every year in the same place under my Big Bay trees! I want to have multiple plants.. It is a naturally occurring fern I suspect as it has been there since before 1967 when we moved here. I think they are pretty and I am partial to Ferns! The bigger the better!

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #1 on: 01/07/2009 08:30:33 »
If you have a large clump of this fern, I would suggest you wait until autumn (fall) or spring next year. As soon as it begins to appear, dig out a plant, making sure you get all the root, divide it into small plants, each with a good root system, and plant in pots with a potting-on compost. Add some bonemeal to the growing medium to give the roots a boost.

If you only have the one plant, this could be fatal if you get it wrong!

Otherwise, being a fern, it can only be propagated from its spores.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/07/2009 09:53:14 »
Yes fatal and I only have one much smaller then that.. Every year it is the same size and it stays about the same.... I would like several more but worried about hurting it! Does this fern have rhizomes like other ferns?
« Last Edit: 01/07/2009 12:32:32 by Karen W. »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #3 on: 01/07/2009 11:23:31 »
Yes Karen, in common with other ferns, this will grow from a rhizome which will be just below the soil surface.

So long as the plant is more than 2/3 years old it should be OK to divide. The best time to do this is in the autumn (fall). Dig out the plant with its entire root intact. You will then need 2 spades, one of which needs to be fairly sharp. Lay the fern on it's side and find the rhizome. If it is small, divide in two, if large, you can divide into three.

With the sharp spade, cut through the rhizome, in one thrust if possible, or keeping the spade in place put some weight on it to finish the cut. Put the other spade into the rhizome so the two spades are back to back, then ease them apart.

If you do not have pots big enough for the divided plants, ferns are quite happy to be planted back into the ground. In fact planting out in the ground might even be the best course.

Prepare the two new holes for the divided plant before digging out the fern. Make the holes twice the size necessary and add some humus rich compost with some bonemeal added. The ground needs to be free draining. Size of the holes will depend on the size of your existing plant. Place the new plants in the holes with the rhizome at the same level (ie don't put extra soil over the top}. Keep well watered until the plant takes. In the spring, give them a high nitrogen feed.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/07/2009 12:31:43 »
Thanks Don 1... I think I will try this in the autumn. I really like the little fern but have never managed to get it to spread... every year it is basically the same size and only the one plant!

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #5 on: 01/07/2009 15:09:06 »
Your only alternative is to propagate from the spores.

Take a look at this http://www.users.bigpond.com/glenyakimoff/fern_propagation.html

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/07/2009 10:06:19 »
Thanks Don..Sorry I missed this post.. That is good information but I do not think I have a place to properly try this..and possibly not the patience either!

I might try it if I can make a suitable shaade house!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 19/07/2009 10:06:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums