The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: purifying expolsives  (Read 14826 times)

Offline weebrain

• View Profile
purifying expolsives
« on: 03/08/2005 04:21:41 »
does anyone know how u would go about purifying something like plastic expolsives that contained alot of sodium cholride (table salt)??

p.s. i never wud make, store and definatly not try not to purify it, but its nice to know!

sir loony

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
Re: purifying expolsives
« Reply #1 on: 04/08/2005 03:57:28 »
I am sure Scotland Yard would be glad to help. Infact they may drop by for a friendly chat if you presist in asking such questions. Same with the FBI in the States, but the FBI is a lot less formal. They will probably toss your flat while you are out and be waiting for you when you get back. Guys, these websites are being checked for questions like this. With the times we live in, find something else to get interested in.

David

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 04/08/2005 09:11:19 »
Maybe that was his idea ?! And to be honest, if a few policemen or FB-aii agents come knocking here that'll be great because we'll have the opportunity to teach them a little bit about science and medicine to cheer up their day. It must be pretty boring having to search muslims with big rucksacks every 5 seconds. A brief sejourn on the naked scientists website should provide welcome relief.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline weebrain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/08/2005 14:00:04 »
well its just something i dont know how to do.

anyone care to show off??

sir loony

Offline weebrain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/08/2005 14:02:00 »
:(ill just drop it then.:(

sir loony

Offline finchbeak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04/08/2005 14:37:54 »
Most people seem to be drawn very strongly to things that explode.  I confess to being fascinated with explosions, although I would say that my interest is no greater than that of the average person.  As a high school chemistry teacher, I find that there is one question students ask more than any other, by a very wide margin.  I probably hear this question, in some form or another, three or four times per week (perhaps I'll make a formal count this year...).  That question is: "Are we going to blow something up today?"  
I do lots of neat demonstrations during my classes, but only once or twice a year do I actually make something explode, and these are very small, controlled explosions.  But that's what students remember more than anything else - the explosions.  I believe the interest has no gender bias, either, although most boys seem more comfortable expressing their juvenile enthusiasm in these matters than girls.
Why do we love to watch explosions?  I suppose there is an adaptive reason for paying close attention to things that are potentially threatening.  But why is it such a strong draw that people will go out of their way, and put themselves in danger, just to watch an explosion?

Offline simeonie

• View Profile
    • http://www.simeonie.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 04/08/2005 23:42:41 »
David are you actually being serious about the F.B.I thing?

It is not against the law talking about explosions doi!

And Weebarin I have got absaloutly no clue what so ever to the answer to your questio. Why not do a google search? Or www.ask.com

And I love explosions. Don't know why.... I would never hurt anyone with them I just do. Everyone does.

----------------------
Time is like a knife..... slowly and relentlesly.... cuts the cored of life.

-__- my website!!!!
http://www.simeonie.co.uk
has forums too!
Think about it! lolz

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06/08/2005 04:36:15 »
Originally posted by simeonie

David are you actually being serious about the F.B.I thing?

Well, there was a big uproar over here about the FBI running a program to look at all internet traffic for words like bmob spelled backwards. So yes, big brother is watching. Check out a book or visit a web site on those things and your ISP may be asked to identify you. The Patriot act (funny name) gives the FBI authority to do all of these things. If they actually have the manpower and money is another question.

I personally like finchbeak love chemistry, and made a lot of things that go boom back in my high school chemistry days. But all were preapproved and often supervised by the teacher. I am afraid those days are over. The times have changed.

David

Offline weebrain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17/08/2005 07:17:30 »
it was a silly question anyway, i over-looked erup "reverse"

sir loony

Offline gerard

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25/08/2005 22:30:32 »
why not buy on ebay? its prob possible.
obver here you can only buy fertilizer that has had a chemical added to it(can't remember the name) which deactivates the ammonium nitrate so it can't be used to make bombs

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #10 on: 27/08/2005 06:27:34 »
Get an organic chemistry book and look up purification of organic compounds.  Organics are generally more soluble in stuff that salts are not.  You can take advantage of this to separate one from the other.  I'm afraid that's the straightest answer you're going to get on the subject.  

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline weebrain

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17/09/2005 02:56:58 »
i think ive sussed the purtiy prob: NaClO3 + 2NaCl
sodium cholrate workes just as well, but its abit more stable.

sir loony

Offline pyromaster222

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15/10/2005 15:07:47 »
depneds what kind of explosive you want to make low or high explosve?
i can tell you about low explosives.
o btw finchbeak did you do that experiment where a chlorate is melted and sugar is added?

Offline robotjesusbeta

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16/11/2005 21:09:40 »
hahaha you want to make explosives from Chlorate, basicly your talking about refinement of Cyclonite/RDX then the addition of a plasticizer. FBI dont actually do alot, they just install fear into the general public Via Rumours and I can see how fantasticly well it has worked. Ammonium Nitrate can Always be used in a 'Bomb' as you said even with The addition of Calcium i think?, due to the fact it contains Nitrogen you just need to have a big enough shock wave. Plus conclusivly ammonium nitrate  needs to be in a SPHERE around its PRIMARY/BOOSTER in order to Fully 'go off'. Yet again with the hear say about ammonium nitrate being rendered innert Due to the addition of some sort of stabilizer, who do you think says this? The government, we are talking about the same people who sent us to war on iraq after sadam who was hiding in a hole for god sake lol. The instalation of fear is a useful tool Terrorist and Government alike use it dayly, the government can see that Racial intergration is going to be awkward and will cause lots of problems such as radical Belifs and 'Terrorists' so what is the easy option? what is the best way to have people work together and intergrate? a common goal, a focal point 'terrorism' and radical beleifs. sorry went off on a tangent then lol

Is that the mouthwash in your eyes?

Offline robotjesusbeta

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17/11/2005 18:34:27 »
thought id post this here as i didnt want to make a new thread over it. ok this is more to discourage the manufacture of Acetone Peroxide tho being simple to make it is simply not safe to handle, having made this in small quantities 15g batches, I left it to dry NO UV light touching it, it was protected by being in a tray with a lid ajar so that air could circulate and it detonated in my garden the bang defened me for 5 days. so just before you even consider its manufacture dont bother its instability could prove lethal in just 15g, baring in mind i was about 15 metres away from the blast and that it was totally unconfined, confinement could prove lethal in even a test beaker i would suspect. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AND FINGERS

Offline pyromaster222

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18/11/2005 19:17:38 »
robotjesusbeta- just because something contains nitrogen doesnt mean it will explode.
also i dont think they add calcium its motor oil or aluminium that they add.
and yes you CAN make explosives out of sodium chlorate... H3 is used to break shells so is therefore an explosive.. although a low one it is still a low explosive, not all explosives are just high explosives that have to be detonated.

Offline Simmer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18/11/2005 19:23:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by robotjesusbeta

ok this is more to discourage the manufacture of Acetone Peroxide tho being simple to make it is simply not safe to handle, having made this in small quantities 15g batches, I left it to dry NO UV light touching it, it was protected by being in a tray with a lid ajar so that air could circulate and it detonated in my garden the bang defened me for 5 days. so just before you even consider its manufacture dont bother its instability could prove lethal in just 15g, baring in mind i was about 15 metres away from the blast and that it was totally unconfined, confinement could prove lethal in even a test beaker i would suspect. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AND FINGERS

Good advice mate! Personally I wouldn't make 15 g of any high explosive - remember what your granny used to say, 70 mg per finger! :)

Offline robotjesusbeta

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23/11/2005 18:38:24 »
well pyro first off G was talking about somthing added rendering it inert *to some degree* hence calcium. And where in my post did you see me say 'anything with nitrogen' i was refaring to ammonium nitrate. Finaly where did you see me say that you cannot make explosives from chlorate..? H3 by the way is not what i call an explosive its either HE or no E for me. Dont bother posting counter productive crap i have got better things to do than point out your mistakes in what was clearly an attempt to discredit me in some poor fasion. 70mg per finger i like it, how did you know my granny manufacured explosives! damn thats the last time i let her out the retirement home hahaha

« Last Edit: 23/11/2005 18:40:09 by robotjesusbeta »

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: 04/08/2006 02:52:22 »
Pretty sure the patriot act doesn't apply in the UK. Althought the FBI could just give MI5 a call and they would send the Police round.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #18 on: 04/08/2006 02:52:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums