The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does A Wet Wrinkled Hand Still Produce A Readable Fingerprint ?  (Read 5426 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest IQ Extraordinaries,

' Ewe need Hands' sang Max Bygraves in 1958. Little did he know back then that 51 years later a little woolly sheepy would ask this question related to hands ......Incredible eh ?

Hands are my all time favourite extremity attached to my arms via the wrist...out of all the extremities that do this..hands are my favourite !

Take a look at this hand:

A Hand Being A Hand Earlier Today

Like all hands it comes equipped with a palm, some fingers, fingernails and fingerprints. It's the fingerprints I'm interested in.

Ewe see, every year on my birthday I wash them, and I let them have a nice long soak. Long enough for them to go all wrinkly (AH..this has made me think of another brill question !)...anyway.....say, the hand police came along to arrest my hand for loitering so long in a horse trough or something and they needed to take it's prints....Would it still be possible to take viable prints from a well wrinkled waterlogged hand ?...Could the scanny fingerprint thingy still pick them up ?

I wonder if this could in fact be a real problem when it comes to identifying (gruesome bit warning) hands found In a  river !

whajafink ?

Hugs

Neil
"Ewe can't Handle the truth".....who said that ?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ps: Another quick quiz...care to mention anything Art Deco in the picture above ?

« Last Edit: 03/07/2009 19:46:34 by neilep »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Lovely painting on the wall and the clock on the piano... My anniversary clock like that is a signed image of Elvis on the face of the clock!

About those prints ...perhaps they wait until the prints dry!

Here are my hands after my pampering day yesterday.. no water logged wrinkles just aged ones!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Very nice hand Mam !

yes, i suppose it does look like a nice painting and clock...it's hard to see. I just found that photo on the net somewhere. ::)

I particularly like the way your finger nails are colour coordinated with your top.

I hope ewe enjoyed your pampering.

Hmmm....yes..I suppose they could wait for them to dry....but I wonder if there is a way to get prints from waterlogged fingers ! time may be of the essence in some circumstances !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Very nice hand Mam !

yes, i suppose it does look like a nice painting and clock...it's hard to see. I just found that photo on the net somewhere. ::)

I particularly like the way your finger nails are colour coordinated with your top.

I hope ewe enjoyed your pampering.

Hmmm....yes..I suppose they could wait for them to dry....but I wonder if there is a way to get prints from waterlogged fingers ! time may be of the essence in some circumstances !!

Thanks for the compliments.. I did try to coordinate my colors! LOL..

UMMMMMHUM! LOL

I did indeed but must do more in three appointments.. !

Well I just called my Forensics friend Jeff and he explained how this is done! He is now retired!

In the case water logged hands, They can be difficult and this is the method they use here..He said they excise the skin from the finger..meaning they peel off the skin like a glove. Then they take the tissue and lay it flat under a microscope with high resolution  and transfer that to black and white transparency where they can compare it to a known fingerprint.Then in some cases it can be read by eye or put onto ink roller paper machine  where two prints can be overlapped over each other and compared.. they look for at least 9 points of what he called minutia some places use 7.. but locally they use 9 .. each print has certain types patterns some share several patterns which make them more unique and easier to identify.
He said technology has come so far that they can remove a print from a paper match stick given the right minutia points!

He told me that they had found a murder victims arm in a garbage can at our airport and that they needed to identify the arm.. so they had to peel off the skin on arm

and his partner at that time was teaching him different techniques and he put a rubber glove on his own hand then slid his hand into the skin of the victim using hes hand and arm skin as a glove so that once it was on. he was able to roll the guys fingerprints onto the fingerprint machine thing to get a proper print!....EWEEEEE but really amazing.. he said he had tons more info if we needed it or were curious!
« Last Edit: 03/07/2009 21:33:02 by Karen W. »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Oooo, information straight for the horses mouth! That's worth jotting down. 

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Holy Soggy Pants !

Wish I had a forensics friend called Jeff...except that I think I'd want him to be called Trevor !  ;)

That is incredible information Karen !..THANK EWE very very much !!...fantastic !!
« Last Edit: 03/07/2009 23:41:20 by neilep »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Something else he said .. was that bnot only can they lift prints from your normal solid items but these days they have techniques designed to take prints from cotton fabrics as well as like the victims skin! So if the victim is say choked, they can now remove the fingerprint from the surface of the skin itself....!!! He also said to give you all some good advice and don't take shows like CSI too serious as they can do some of that stuff but lots of the stuff they claim to do is not available technology and is bunk! He said also that the best dvice is to not commit the crime! LOL...

I am impressed.. I have known Jeff since he was 13 or years old and my daughter was just born.. Amazing brain on that kid!

Trevor eh Neil? LOL...Your welcome.. Those are only a few techniques he mentioned some detailed ones involving chemicals etc to lift the very fragile prints!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums