The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can someone give me the low down on Nephritic Syndrome, in laymans terms?  (Read 3629 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Ok.. I have been told today that I have something called Nephritic Syndrome and that my kidneys are in some kind of mess where they don't hold the proteins or something like that! That they are seeping out into my urine etc.. from what I understand there are several diseases that cause this syndrome... but she says they have to eliminate which ones not causing the trouble to determine which one is...

I would appreciate some forthright answers.. I heard what she said and yet I am unsure what treatment will be in terms of prednisones 0r something...etc..What will a steroid do?

She said that it is harder to treat adults then little children.. they respond better to treatment.

Help me understand whats happening and what I am in for?
« Last Edit: 07/07/2009 05:29:18 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Ok seems they are going to run a rash of tests for another auto immune disease..How many can one have before the body throws in the towel? I am starting to worry again.. I thought we were finally slowing things up.. How long do you think testing for this stuff takes...?

Has anyone here ever had a kidney biopsied and how uncomfortable is that? Whats the healing time there?
« Last Edit: 09/07/2009 06:35:27 by Karen W. »

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
I have never had a kidney biopsy.. but I have had other types of biopsy and while they say "You may experience some discomfort"  I have come to realise that their definition of 'discomfort' does not correlate with mine.

I just wanted to wish you the best and try not to worry.. just take each day as it comes.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
So does that mean more then discomfort.. they said there would be anesthetic but not a general.

Thanks JnA.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
In my experience - yes.. not the procedure.. they usually numb the area with local aesthetic. but once that wears off there is pain.  Mind you, the location would play a role in the amount of 'discomfort'. I had two biopsies on my thyroid (that's eight needles total) this was 'uncomfortable' because I couldn't 'rest the area'  while a biopsy in a location that doesn't get used so often might not be so bad.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I understand there will be a period of a couple hrs of lying flat on tummy or back depending on where they had to access they Kidney.. She said likely my back in the flank area... It does not sound pleasant!

I had a biopsy in the uterine area but had know anesthetic and that was really uncomfortable then.. I cannot imagine none for this ..so I am glad about a local... We will see..
My kidneys have been bad off and on for a long spell now.. they said renal falure months ago but then were able to pinpoint a problem correct it and it seemed better for a bit.. It ihas been suging a bit ..if that makes since..has spells where the kidney function is better then it drops off and functions poorly... So far it has been correctable in as far as they found the reason...medication we thought..etc.. but now this is odd because I thought they should have found this way before they told me the other.. but perhaps that was because It had righted itself with treatment?

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums