The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do blind people wear sunglasses?  (Read 22753 times)

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
Why do blind people wear sunglasses?
« on: 08/07/2009 10:48:28 »
I may just be very ignorant here but I've never quite worked out why blind people often where dark sunglasses?
Is it to block out light from reaching their eyes or to stop people from seeing their eyes, and why?

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08/07/2009 11:39:13 »
Gday SquarishTriangle, long time no see :)

Yeah I think its because with some blind people their eyes don't look normal and they feel self conscious about it.

Or I wonder if blind people still feel pain in their eyes in bright light, even though they can't see it?

Offline rhade

• Do what you will, but first be such as can will!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/07/2009 16:04:21 »
I think the the main reason blind people wear sunglasses is to symbolise to others the fact that they are blind. But it is important here to acknowledge the difference between totally blind and partially sighted people, the latter being most of those with a visual impairment.

A friend of mine is partially sighted, and while his eyesight isn't great at the best of times, in bright sunlight, he really can't see a bloody thing!

So I think the answer may be that there is some truth in both of your propositions.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/07/2009 00:03:50 »
Yeah I think its because with some blind people their eyes don't look normal and they feel self conscious about it. 
Yeah, I think so too. Plus they want to blend in with the rest of the people.  [8D]

lyner

« Reply #4 on: 09/07/2009 19:09:46 »
With such a cool role model as Stevie Wonder, there's no wonder that dark shades are a popular fashion.
What amazes me is that normally sighted people wear shades under very low light conditions - they are lucky not to trip over in night clubs and other such cool venues.

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/07/2009 10:06:17 »
Yeah they all sound like good reasons. Thanks guys. Although, how would you know that your eyes looked abnormal if you couldn't see?

Gday SquarishTriangle, long time no see :)
Hello back at you. Ps. terrible choice of words!!

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11/07/2009 03:56:00 »
Hahaha

Offline mikhaela20

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20/09/2010 03:33:33 »
Why do some blind people wear sunglasses? My guess is because it protects their eyes. I think that even blind people can't see anything. So that if they were to look at the sun they would still be affected by it like normal people.

Offline tommya300

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20/09/2010 07:25:01 »
I have had the opportunity to ask my friend some questions like this one , in the past, about being totally blind, as he is. The question was inspired, when I turned on the room light, and he told me what I just did.
He told me even though it all was pitch, if just a lamp was switched on, the light from it would
flash would shoot across, in an arc path, across his field of what would be his view.
Wearing the sun glasses prevented this low level exposure and reduced the flash from a high intensity light like from the sun. He mentiond that there are residual sun spot affects, and that was accompanied, followed with, some form of head ache pain.
Yes, just because one is blind, does not mean they are not sensitive to light.
« Last Edit: 20/09/2010 07:44:04 by tommya300 »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #9 on: 21/09/2010 16:10:00 »
Those who still have a sensitivity to light might well find sudden flashes annoying and or even frightening, so I guess that sunglasses would reduce the effect. I am sure that there is also a will to hide the eyes with some. They may be well aware that wandering or fixed eyes may give the wrong impression during conversation.

I wonder if it also detracts from the confusion to the body clock for those who are able to perceive some light. Those who have no light sensitivity have trouble knowing when to sleep due to the lack of melatonin production. These people can be helped by oral doses of melatonin. How much more confusing to the body clock must light surges be at random times of the day?

http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/content/41/17/26.full

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 21/09/2010 16:10:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums