The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can information be sent back in time?  (Read 12010 times)

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can information be sent back in time?
« Reply #25 on: 01/01/2015 15:58:10 »
Quote from: yor_on
....when solving those you will fall into a 'multi verse'.....

The multiverse is often cited as a means of achieving past-directed time travel, but there are a lot of snags that seem to be overlooked.  Going back to gill my grandmother, for example, is by no means straightforward.

Even in the multiple universe situations, this grandmatricide makes no sense, because, unless there is a single universe in which I did and did not kill my grandmother, the situation is such that each universe follows its own course, and no amount of frisking backwards through time can change what has happened in any one universe.  It can, of course, be argued that in the multiverse I go back and kill my grandmother in a universe in which I never existed, and never will exist as anything other than a murderous time traveller, but this works only if the universe in which I start and that in which I kill my grandmother who, quite obviously, is not my grandmother in that universe are out of synchronisation by exactly the right amount

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02/01/2015 17:40:46 »
True Bill, I get a headache fairly fast, trying to imagine what such a universe would look like. And if you also introduce reaction before action I lose all footing, if that now is a word? The way I see it, and that is purely naive, is the one between a arrow, and what is not. We know the arrow, that's our history, also what builds statistics. We do not 'know' what happens with those unfulfilled probabilities we define. It's possible that all of them exist, but I doubt us proving it. So, what do you have? Between dreams and what you see? And what do I want it to be?

A place of fair play?
And a place of compassion

It's not like we all have the same chances..

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #26 on: 02/01/2015 17:40:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums