The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Will the expansion of the Universe tear the fabric of space?  (Read 1656 times)

Joe

Joe asked the Naked Scientists:

Hey guys I love your podcasts though I am still a year behind in listening!  So if you answer my question I won't hear it for a while. 

My question is about space and the expanding universe.  If I understand correctly it is space that is expanding pulling galaxies etc with it. Often I hear how the shape of space relates to black holes, gravity, light and so on.

So what are the ramifications and properties of Space as it expands?  Will the laws of physic's change?  Could it rip or tear?

Thanks for all your great shows.

Joe in Cincinnati Ohio

What do you think?

ScientificBoysClub

Will the expansion of the Universe tear the fabric of space?
« Reply #1 on: 11/07/2009 08:56:19 »
Joe asked the Naked Scientists:

Hey guys I love your podcasts though I am still a year behind in listening!  So if you answer my question I won't hear it for a while. 

My question is about space and the expanding universe.  If I understand correctly it is space that is expanding pulling galaxies etc with it. Often I hear how the shape of space relates to black holes, gravity, light and so on.

So what are the ramifications and properties of Space as it expands?  Will the laws of physic's change?  Could it rip or tear?

Thanks for all your great shows.

Joe in Cincinnati Ohio

What do you think?

Well Einstein says that you can starch or contract space and time like a rubber sheet . but you can't tear  it. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Will the expansion of the Universe tear the fabric of space?
« Reply #1 on: 11/07/2009 08:56:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length