The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are cardiac problems always easy to detect?  (Read 2598 times)

Offline carreerslut

• View Profile
Are cardiac problems always easy to detect?
« on: 12/07/2009 20:27:42 »
Female early forties, went for what I was given to understand was a one off cardiac check up by  a very thorough registrar and consultant combined consultation.  Had a cardiac once over a couple of years back and was given the all clear.  There were some abnormalities on my ECG but these were dismissed as 'old', and I was 'ejected' ', to ignore my chest pain for ever more. 

But the chest pain got worse, although resigned to being dismissed this visit to the cardiologists was for me just to be another 'not to worry' affair and left with my symptoms.  But this time was different.

The findings on the ECG was the same, basically the R wave was increasingly absent throughout the precordial leads, as before it was typical of something 'old'.  But this time that is exactly what bothered the doctors.  They suspected I had suffered clots on my heart and/or lungs earlier in life or even on several occasions, and these were leaving scars.  I had a VQ lung test and am awaiting cardiac MRIs both with and without stress.  They are also doing another echo.  I have mildly prolapsed mitral valves, and complex blood clotting issues which they know all about.

After being given the complete all clear from the previous cardiologist, who would not even see me again when I complained three years later the chest pains had returned, the same symtptoms, and more relevantly the same findings, are causing great concern in these two equally eminent cardiologists at another hospital.  Does this make the other practioner a dangerous doctor?  It was clear from their letter that they were still smarting from some harsh comments I made about how they were handling things last time, but was this a reason to ignore seemingly important symtpoms? Someone here is wrong!

Basically I don't understand what if anything is putting my heart under strain, and if it is dangerous.  I am in very severe daily pain, other reasons, such that I take morphine and other drugs.  When in pain my bp goes through the roof, but quickly settles on relief.  So practitioners do not get a consistant picture of my normal state.  My o2 saturation is steadily dropping, now on average about 95%.  And if my heart or lungs are found to be  riddled with old scars, can anything be done?

MRI very soon and case being treated as urgent.  Bit of a shock after the way I was dismissed previously. At least if I know the worst that it can be, anything else will be a relief!  That previous cardiologist may have a lot to answer for though...

Any enlightenment?
« Last Edit: 13/07/2009 17:04:18 by chris »

Offline Pwee

• View Profile
Re: Are cardiac problems always easy to detect?
« Reply #1 on: 13/07/2009 13:22:11 »
I'm not a cardiologist, so I definitely can't give a professional opinion on your symptoms, but I could think of some things that I learned on the health psychology faculty that I was attending on the university.
Maybe these could help you understand your symptoms more or to get a little bit relived.

Chest pain can be caused by a wide variety of things and only some of these are related to cardiovascular problems.
For example pain from reflux and peptic ulcer are many times mistaken with "heart pain" as the sensory input coming from the intestines can not be localised as well (without training) as the one coming from the skin surface.

If you take pain medication regularly, this can cause a little bit more problem in the diagnosis too, as it is uncertain what level your pain really is, where it comes from.
Also using pain pills regularly (and mixing them) can sometimes cause problems in interpreting pain sensation by the user.

I wish for you to get better and that you finally get to know what causes your symptoms.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/07/2009 14:17:06 »
I am in very severe daily pain ... can anything be done?

If your pain is angina it can be treated with vasodilator medication like GTN* sublingual tablets or spray.

(* only available from your doctor)
« Last Edit: 13/07/2009 14:24:26 by RD »

Offline Pwee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/07/2009 15:53:33 »
I am in very severe daily pain ... can anything be done?

If your pain is angina it can be treated with vasodilator medication like GTN* sublingual tablets or spray.

(* only available from your doctor)

I am in very severe daily pain, other reasons, such that I take morphine and other drugs.

I think carreerslut ment that he/she is in severe daily pain for other, not cardiovascular reasons. Or am I wrong?

Offline carreerslut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/07/2009 19:02:25 »
Appreciate reply.  Last post is right in that my severe pain is from other causes (not chest), although I agree being permanently medicated can mask the chest pain, as suggested.  Angina has definitely been ruled out.  Referring doctor did also want to refer me for possible esophegal spasms but it seems the heart doctors are convinced the pain is cardiac. 

I use a phenomanally high amount of pain medication, and with the recent media coverage of Michael Jackson dying of a heart attack, alongside his addiction problems, has got me wondering.  Am not an addict and certainly not taking the strange concoctions he was, but do wonder if there is a link with my pain med use and this cardiac change.  Thing is though the cardiologists are looking at events which they suspect happened a very long time ago, perhaps even before I was an adult.  I was hoping someone here understood ECGs and R waves and the like.

Clinically trained myself but since changed career have forgotten all but all...  But do appreciate responses, thanks.  Hope others have more ideas.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13/07/2009 22:05:29 »
... my severe pain is from other causes (not chest) ... Angina has definitely been ruled out. 

May be worth noting that angina pain is not confined to the chest

Apart from chest discomfort, anginal pains may also be experienced in the epigastrium (upper central abdomen), back, neck, jaw, or shoulders, following skin dermatomes. Typical locations for radiation of pain are arms (often inner left arm), shoulders, and neck into the jaw.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angina_pectoris
« Last Edit: 14/07/2009 13:30:08 by RD »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/07/2009 00:27:24 »
I just want to wish ewe well and hope that ewe can feel comfort soon.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 14/07/2009 00:27:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums