The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How much fat is required to absorb fat soluble vitamins?  (Read 4966 times)

Sandy Quackenbush

Sandy Quackenbush  asked the Naked Scientists:

My question concerns the fat-soluble vitamins, A, D, E, and K.  I usually eat a non-fat breakfast of cereal, skim milk, and berries.  I take a multi-vitamin tablet containing 400 mg of D, 60 IUs of E, 3500 IUs of A, and 25 mcg of K.  I also take 400 IUs of E in a capsule. 

Can you find out how much fat I need to add to my breakfast in order to absorb these vitamins?
What do you think?

Offline Chelsie

• View Profile
How much fat is required to absorb fat soluble vitamins?
« Reply #1 on: 20/07/2009 05:12:35 »
Humans actually use bile acids to absorb fat-soluble vitamins and not fat itself. However, once these vitamins are absorbed they are stored in adipose tissues (fat). When you need them, your body takes them out of storage to be used.

Whether you are eating a fatty diet or not, your body produces lipids (fats) through a metabolic system called Lipogenesis which converts carbohydrates into fat. As long as your diet is balanced and you are getting the correct amount of daily calories for your gender and height, you shouldn't need to increase your fat intake. However, you should note that it is actually more beneficial to you if you get your fat soluble vitamins from the ingestion of food rather than taking them as a supplement.

The Naked Scientists Forum

How much fat is required to absorb fat soluble vitamins?
« Reply #1 on: 20/07/2009 05:12:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums