The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Coffee -- good for you, bad for you, or good and bad for you?  (Read 7315 times)

Herman Melville

I've read very different things about coffee being good and/or bad for us. Some say it makes you more intelligent. Recently it was claimed that it could reverse Alzheimer's.

I feel it makes me happier, but I never drink instant coffee and restrict myself to just two or three real coffees per week.

Is it good and/or bad for you? If so, in what quantities.

lyner

Coffee -- good for you, bad for you, or good and bad for you?
« Reply #1 on: 14/07/2009 13:40:07 »
It may reverse Alzheimer's but I can't remember to drink any, these days, so I may be too late.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/07/2009 17:48:08 »
It had good points and bad points, and is probably best consumed in moderation, which is the usual advice for foods/beverages.  Most advice I've seen is to limit intake to 5 "cups" a day.

The good:
Studies have shown it may help protect against Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, diabetes and heart disease.
It may help with short-term memory and concentration.
It contains plenty of antioxidants and might help protect against cancer.

The bad:
It contains plenty of carcinogenic compounds (though no one's found that it causes cancer yet).
It can cause anxiety, the jitters, and can cause short-term concentration problems.
You can develop a dependence to it.

Offline Edster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/07/2009 20:15:20 »
You missed out one major bad one, as an ex night shift worker I know it too well:
There is a tendency to cause minor tremor of the hands.
If you have ever tried to solder SMD`s after 2 am after 4 real perked cups of cofee it is almost impossible unless you put a rubber band around your wrist and clamp it in the desk vice to damp the hand shakes.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15/07/2009 01:42:36 »
I don't know why people drink that stuff.

------
I just remembered bad joke from my science teacher, he said that a coffee is someone who coughs
« Last Edit: 15/07/2009 01:44:58 by Chemistry4me »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15/07/2009 01:57:36 »
I like coffee.. yum. but I usually have one mocha cappuccino on the weekend mornings.. then if I can one during week days but I am not strung out on coffee or addicted I can live with it or without!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/07/2009 01:59:26 »
OH AND IT DOES NOTHING FOR ME AT ALL IN THE WAY OF MAKING ME HYPER.. NOHING DOES THAT I KNOW OF BUT THE WIND!

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15/07/2009 14:51:58 »
Coffee is a slow poison- and many people are still being poisoned by it when they are into the 80s or 90s after a lifetime of drinking it!

Herman Melville

« Reply #8 on: 16/07/2009 12:46:56 »
Coffee is a slow poison- and many people are still being poisoned by it when they are into the 80s or 90s after a lifetime of drinking it!
In what way? Curious to hear more about this.

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16/07/2009 13:03:12 »
It's ever so slow. You'll never live past 130 if you keep drinking coffee. ;)
« Last Edit: 16/07/2009 13:52:26 by wolfekeeper »

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16/07/2009 13:25:05 »
Although, by no means a scientific study, I have found that coffee helps me to avoid having migraine headaches.  It would seem that a trigger factor for me is withdrawl from cafeine.  I cannot envisage a life wholly without cafeine and I dislike tea, so to avoid losing hours to pain, I drink a couple of cups of coffee a day.  The best coffee is made in Cona coffee makers, which has the added bonus of resembling a chemistry experiment...

Herman Melville

« Reply #11 on: 16/07/2009 17:22:21 »
Is it true that coffee lowers the immunity? If so, should we give it up during flu pandemics?

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16/07/2009 17:48:05 »
I've never heard that coffee lowers immunity to disease directly.  If you drink too much caffeine, you could have trouble sleeping, and lack of sleep would lower your immunity.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16/07/2009 19:06:21 »
Really strong coffee gives me a bad tummy but I luff Mochas sooo much. I have had to go for one shots these days. I do like the cafe culture. It is good for the soul to sit and watch the world go by for a bit.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16/07/2009 21:39:29 »
Really strong coffee gives me a bad tummy but I luff Mochas sooo much. I have had to go for one shots these days. I do like the cafe culture. It is good for the soul to sit and watch the world go by for a bit.

Ditto on all counts!

Offline carmen539tu

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • Resell Rights Products
« Reply #15 on: 21/07/2009 03:55:49 »
It had good points and bad points, and is probably best consumed in moderation, which is the usual advice for foods/beverages.  Most advice I've seen is to limit intake to 5 "cups" a day.

The good:
Studies have shown it may help protect against Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, diabetes and heart disease.

The bad:
It contains plenty of carcinogenic compounds (though no one's found that it causes cancer yet).
It can cause anxiety, the jitters, and can cause short-term concentration problems.
Yes, moderation is the key here. I drink only 3 cups per day, or a max of four. I alternate between instant and real coffee, and never sensed any major difference between them. I have been drinking coffee for years. I also agree on the addiction point you made: if I don't drink coffee for a day or two then I suffer from strange, irritating headaches. Then once I resume coffee drinking the headache goes away! :P

I have heard many rumors like coffee damages your earlobe, that it causes cancer and all that, and I guess they are just that-rumors. The only side effects of coffee I have found are: addiction, anxiety, feeling jittery and dehydration!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21/07/2009 04:50:45 »
Coffee is a  stimulant and a diuretic! Thats why one gets so fidgetty and anxious and jittery...then you wee like crazy and get dehydrated.. I hear the caffeine withdrawal headaches can be real buggers!
« Last Edit: 21/07/2009 04:56:48 by Karen W. »

Herman Melville

« Reply #17 on: 21/07/2009 10:48:57 »

The good:

The bad:
Yes, moderation is the key here. I drink only 3 cups per day, or a max of four. I alternate between instant and real coffee, and never sensed any major difference between them. I have been drinking coffee for years. I also agree on the addiction point you made: if I don't drink coffee for a day or two then I suffer from strange, irritating headaches. Then once I resume coffee drinking the headache goes away! :P

I have heard many rumors like coffee damages your earlobe, that it causes cancer and all that, and I guess they are just that-rumors. The only side effects of coffee I have found are: addiction, anxiety, feeling jittery and dehydration!

I would say that withdrawal headaches are a sure sign you are having too much. I think one a day is the ideal balance.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21/07/2009 15:48:37 »
Some more tidbits:

One thing to watch out for is "size creep."  A cup of coffee is technically 6 oz.  Very few people probably drink it that way.  Most coffee shops in the US sell an 8 or 12 oz size as their smallest, so drinking a couple of Starbucks "cups" of coffee could get you 3-4 actually drinks worth.

Another interesting tidbit is that caffeine may not actually be a diuretic: http://www.medicinenet.com/caffeine/page3.htm .  It might just be that people drink it for a pick-me-up, rather than to quench thirst, so it's added on top of the usual allotment of fluids.

Finally, the LD50 in rats (the dose lethal to 50% of them) is 192 mg caffeine/kg body weight.  There's roughly 150 mg caffeine in a 6 oz cup, so that means don't drink more cups of coffee than your mass in kg!  I doubt your stomach would hold down that much coffee though.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #18 on: 21/07/2009 15:48:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums