The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Do Neutrinos Only Spin Left ?  (Read 2004 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Do Neutrinos Only Spin Left ?
« on: 15/07/2009 19:06:33 »
Dearest Peeps Of Wondrous Knowledge That Awes Us All,

As a sheepy I of course luff neutrinos !..Neutrionos are my all time favourite elementary particles that are difficult to detect and can pass through lots of stuff !

Look..here's some :

Some Neutrinos Doing Neutrino Stuff Earlier Today

Nice eh ?...being delivered next Tuesday !

Now then, as a sheepy I of course luff to spin...though..unlike a neutrino I can spin left and right. I recently heard that Neutrions only spin to the left !!

Why's that then ?..why do neutrinos only spin to the left ?

I asked the lady at the supermarket till and she just got on the microphone and asked " price on some neutrinos please"..that's not what I asked !..so..no joy there !

Any ideas ?...

Neutrinos they dance and and they swing to the left
Is there something up that makes 'right-way ' bereft ?
It's mystery incarnate the way that they go
I hope the answer prevails NeutriKNOW ?

now that's quality poemage right there !!

hugs & shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !!

NeilTrino
"Elementary Particle My Dear Sheepy"
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

paul.fr

« Reply #1 on: 15/07/2009 19:13:29 »
Is it due to the way their trousers hang?

oh, hold on...

I just noticed that bit...sorry.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/07/2009 19:23:42 »
Is it due to the way their trousers hang?

oh, hold on...

I just noticed that bit...sorry.

;D ;D

...but ewe're klevur paul..ewe know stuff !  neutrinos are always pasing through clouds  !!

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #3 on: 15/07/2009 20:42:04 »
You shouldn't think of 'spin' too literally.  In the context of QM spin is an abstract fundamental quality, along with strangeness and top and bottomness etc.  It doesn't mean that the particle is actually revolving about an axis.

Don't buy your neutrinos from the shops; Whatever they charge you, I can supply you with some cheaper.  Infact, I've already arranged for a vast sample to be delivered to you right now.  When you've tried them, and I'm sure you'll be satisfied with them, just send me the money.
« Last Edit: 15/07/2009 20:45:09 by LeeE »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15/07/2009 22:15:52 »
You shouldn't think of 'spin' too literally.  In the context of QM spin is an abstract fundamental quality, along with strangeness and top and bottomness etc.  It doesn't mean that the particle is actually revolving about an axis.

Don't buy your neutrinos from the shops; Whatever they charge you, I can supply you with some cheaper.  Infact, I've already arranged for a vast sample to be delivered to you right now.  When you've tried them, and I'm sure you'll be satisfied with them, just send me the money.

Thank Ewe LeeE. Ewe are very klevur.

If then the spin is referring to a QM spin, is it then still " spinning " to the "left" ?  I read it somewhere ages ago, but, alas, being just a cloud with legs there's no way I am able to recall the explanation I read !

With regard to your kind generosity !...I will gladly accept your kind offer of some ' el-cheapo' neutrinos. When I receive them I will send ewe the dosh !
I hope they come with instructions !!..and picture ones at that !

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #5 on: 15/07/2009 22:34:21 »

Thank Ewe LeeE.
With regard to your kind generosity !...I will gladly accept your kind offer of some ' el-cheapo' neutrinos. When I receive them I will send ewe the dosh !
I hope they come with instructions !!..and picture ones at that !

Umm... well, I only deal in very large bulk quantities, so I'm afraid that individual packaging and instructions are out; this is one of the reasons my prices are so low.  I wouldn't worry about instructions too much anyway - you'll have plenty to experiment with and can afford to break a few while you're figuring them out (no need to worry about safe disposal or recycling either - they're all non-toxic, and no animals were used in their testing).

Our company motto is 'There when you need them', so don't worry about them being solar neutrinos; they'll be there and work equally well at night time too.

I've been thinking about trying to offload some on E-bay.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 15/07/2009 22:34:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums