The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does my voice sound cracked and gravelly?  (Read 9307 times)

Offline loudog93

• First timers
    • View Profile
Why does my voice sound cracked and gravelly?
« on: 18/07/2009 10:57:58 »
You know when you wake up in the morning, and after yawning you say something along the lines of "oh great.." in a gravelly voice. Well when I wake up, if I don't talk for a few minutes then speak, if I drink, smoke, my voice makes this noise, but it's very very broken up...

Here's a little background info on this whole thing; I use to smoke pot, I started in the Fall of '06, and stopped about 11 months ago. So I didn't smoke for long, but I did smoke a lot, and almost all the time. Since about 11 months ago, I was with two friends, we were just sitting around at one of their houses, and literally right after smoking my voice did this. So I just gave that up, saved some money I guess. But it seems as time goes on, this is getting worse. I'm not exaggerating when I say this, I can not talk when I first wake up, it sounds like a very old man coughing, like a "puuhhh" dry noise, and it's very irritating. If I am in class, and get called on after not speaking for even a few minutes, my voice is very crackily. If I drink certain alcohols, my voice gets like this.

The only time my natural voice is heard is if I am around people I know well, whether it be good friends or family.

Please help. <-------------|Cry for help|
« Last Edit: 20/07/2009 09:12:10 by chris »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why does my voice sound cracked and gravelly?
« Reply #1 on: 18/07/2009 12:35:50 »
Xerostomia is the medical term for the subjective complaint of dry mouth due to a lack of saliva. Xerostomia is sometimes colloquially called pasties, cottonmouth, or doughmouth. Xerostomia is also common in smokers.
Xerostomia can cause difficulty in speech and eating. Xerostomia is a common side-effect of various drugs such as cannabis, amphetamines, antihistamines, and some antidepressants.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerostomia

Xerosomia only occurring first thing in the morning can be consequence of sleeping with mouth open, (perhaps snoring).
If the nasal passages are restricted from inflammation from irritation by smoke, it could result in mouth breathing when asleep.

The only time my natural voice is heard is if I am around people I know well, whether it be good friends or family.

This could be explained by normal speech accommodation: when talking to stoners you talk like a stoner, despite being "clean". When you talk to sober people you talk in your "natural" [sober] voice.
« Last Edit: 18/07/2009 13:19:46 by RD »

Offline loudog93

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/07/2009 01:16:20 »
Hm.. very interesting, this information is great RD. Thank you very much for taking the time and giving a thorough reply.

My parents smoked a lot around me as a kid, I actually suffer from clinical depression / anxiety and have taken medication for it... now before I go diagnosing myself I'm gonna head on down the doctor's and ask about this.

Thanks again!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #3 on: 20/07/2009 08:59:59 »
Are you taking any anti-depressants at the moment? This voice change may be a side-effect of the medication; indeed it does sound like it could be down to thick secretions sitting on the vocal folds; anti-depressants can have "anti-muscarinic" side effects including dry mouth (as above), which can make oropharyngeal secretions thicker and stickier. As a result they sit on the vocal cords and make them vibrate more slowly, hence the lower, "cracklier" tone. The effect might have been exaggerated by the cannabis, which is why you tended to notice it then.

As a rule cannabis is not good news and you've done well to steer clear of it. Apart from being linked to triggering psychosis (schizophrenic symptoms) it is also a cause of impotence and is also many times more carcinogenic and generally lung-damaging than tobacco smoke (there are cases in the literature of young people with severe emphysema caused by heavy cannabis use).

Chris

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/07/2009 23:38:19 »
Nice post Dr. Chris!

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20/07/2009 23:43:44 »
You know I think it may be more common then we think as I have had many people come and go in my life who have been huge Cannabis users and most of them have ended up with these gravely sounding voices and some have never gone away.. although two have actually died from lung cancer and that was all they smoked also..

People tend to think it is less harmful but really the outcome can still be the same!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 20/07/2009 23:43:44 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums