The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does Putting My Pillow In The Freezer Kill Dust Mites & Bed Bugs ?  (Read 11947 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Pillow-Freezerologists,

This is number two in a series of 43 " household items inside household appliances " questions.

As a sheepy I of course luff pillows !..Pillows are my all time favourite soft cushiony things that I like to rest my head on and then cuddle in a doggy humpy kind of way !..I do it..ewe do it..we all do it !!

I heard that pillows and mattresses harbour little things called bed bugs and dust mites...these are like well nasty little things that make ewe sneeze and scratch !..I bet ewe're feeling itchy now eh ? I know I am !!..all itchy and scratchy !!

So, I thought to myself..if I was to put my pillow in the freezer would it cure my pillow of it's bed bug and dust mite infestation by making them into bug-popsicles ?

Is the temperature low enough to do this ?..would the temperature in the middle of the pillow get down that low ?

Look I tried it :

My Pillow In The Freezer A few Moments Ago

I saw my neighbour scratch himself last night so as a firm believer in empirical study at 3am this morning  I snuk into his house and not wanting to mess with his bed I figured sticking him in the freezer would be just as good as he clearly has a bug on him ! he was delighted to be chloroformed and then after that he  politely gave no resistance. After a few hours I took him out and he was motionless !! JOY BE JOY :D......RESULT !!!...he clearly had no itch else he'd be scratching yes ?**

So, have I confirmed my hypothesis that freezing pillows kills bugs ?

Thanks

Neil
Owner Of A Cold Pillow
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

** This site does not condone putting your neighbour in the freezer. Please get your neighbours permission before attempting insertion

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I think you should wrap the pillow in plastic before stuffing it in the freezer, to prevent cross-contamination,
 (hair/skin in food, food on pillow).

Most mites won't survive a trip in the washing machine...

Mite and mite allergen removal during machine washing of laundry
Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Volume 111, Issue 6, Pages 1269-1273
L. Arlian, D. Vyszenski-Moher, M. Morgan

"washing clothing and bedding in water alone, detergent, or detergent plus bleach removed 60% to 83% of the live mites".
http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0091674903012831

Trying to fit your mattress in the washing machine/freezer is going to be difficult.

... itchy and scratchy !!

My favourite ...
NR=1
« Last Edit: 18/07/2009 14:52:03 by RD »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
LOL...LOL...I have always just bleached mine in a hot water wash and dried them at high heat temperature, with a loose, clean, tennis shoe to help beat the pillow fluffy during tumbling!

Offline exton

• View Profile
That just might work.

It's not as satisfying as burning them alive, though.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
nOPE
That just might work.

It's not as satisfying as burning them alive, though.

BUT IT HELPS AND THE PILLOWS ARE CLEANER FOR IT AND YOU ARE LESS BUG INFESTED!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums