The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are the terrorists winning? Rising cost of safety  (Read 9367 times)

Offline Razor

• View Profile
Re: Are the terrorists winning? Rising cost of safety
« Reply #25 on: 21/08/2005 18:50:25 »
P.S Do not take notice of my "Real" name.

Offline Razor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21/08/2005 18:52:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by Simmer

Quote, Razor - Has anyone took notice of my 'Real Name' yet??

When I looked at your profile it showed "Queimadura Espírito" - where's all this "jüdisch Arschloch" stuff coming from?  And if it's from you, why are you drawing attention to it?

Okay Simmer dont stress your mind over it now.

-----------------------
"We apologize for the error in last week's paper
In which we stated that Mr. Arnold Dogbody was a defective in the police force. We meant, of course, that Mr. Dogbody is a detective in the police farce."
-Correction notice in the Ely Standard, a British newspaper

For those who haven’t seen this yet, it's a must view!!!!
CHECK IT OUT!!!!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/presaddress2.shtml

Also:
http://www.svspower.com/
For Dodge Viper Fans.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21/08/2005 20:33:22 »
We're not stressed at all razor...just asking why you want us to look at your real name that's all....I'm quite calm today..thanks

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline VAlibrarian

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25/08/2005 03:48:58 »
I will respond to the original question: are we winning?

In any conflict, both sides have objectives.  Bin Laden picked this fight, and he definitely had objectives. One was indeed to damage the economy of the United States by inflicting economic damage and increased costs. A more general aim was to breed conditions for unending conflict between the Islamic world and the Western world- in a religious sense, he desires purification through destruction. The problem with this aim is that many elements of the Islamic World really do not desire unending conflict with the West- and many elements of the West do not desie unending conflict with the islamic World. But Bin Laden has I think done an okay job of keeping the pot simmering, with some help from George Bush's invasion of Iraq. That move was not a good way to combat militant fundamentalist Islam (which was nonexistant in Saddam Hussein's Baath party dictatorship), but by presenting an example of the occupation of an Arab nation by the U.S., especially with Abu Ghraib, it resulted in some recruiting success for Al Qaeda.

There are elements of a traditional guerilla war in the Al Qaeda situation. Our opponents lack our firepower and numbers, and must rely on an understanding of our weaknesses to inflict damage. Barring access to nuclear weapons, they have no hope of a knockout blow. But Bin Laden is less interested in a knockout blow than he is interested in keeping the pot on the stove. Our objective for the long term should be to create a world in which everyone throughout the Islamic World will ignore Bin Laden as an idiotic crank. We are far from achieving that goal. Remove the word "crusade" from your vocabulary. It is good strategy while seeking to capture Al Qaeda's leaders to try to remove the pot from the stove by fostering peace between Israel and Palestine, and leaving Iraq when we can.

chris wiegard

Offline David Sparkman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 26/08/2005 00:37:05 »
Ah a good answer. Thanks Chris.

Could not one of the main reasons for taking out Iraq have been to put distance between the Muslim states and the funding of Hesbola (sorry cant spell). Husan was donating 25,000 per suicide bomber. Now Saudia Arabia is slowly and quietly starting to cut back on their funding, and their stridant clerics.

Islamic terrorists can now operate in only two countries where the government only winks at their behavior: Syria, and Iran. They run risks in every other country of being betrayed.

If (big if) peace breaks out in Iseral/Palistine, then the terrorists will need to find another cause. My read is that Syria is getting a pass right now because of all the concern about Iran. But Syria will not stand up to much pressure, and will decide like Lybia, that peace is better than mischief.

The real problem for the time being is in Iran where the struggle between secular muslims and fundamentalists is playing out. And if nukes start getting thrown around, the  world will wake up to a much meaner, harsher future.

David
« Last Edit: 26/08/2005 00:37:30 by David Sparkman »

Offline Corbeille

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 26/08/2005 12:12:58 »
If (big if) peace breaks out in Iseral/Palistine, then the terrorists will need to find another cause.

Peace has broken out in Northern Ireland after thirty years of conflict. Have the terrorists gone looking for another cause to fight?

"They're all animals anyway. All the animals come out at night"

Offline biomed0101

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26/08/2005 12:37:21 »
My thoughts exactly Chris, one of the brewings of Bin Ladin seems to be the creating of tendence for radicality in Islamic minorities in the western world. Even before the september 11th attacks this tendence could be sensed in Europe, people were more interested in Islamic traditionalism. One of the things the september 11th attacks did do is encouraging people to speak up against islamic dogmatism, which, in my opinion is a great threat to free thought among muslim minorities.

:P

Offline VAlibrarian

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28/08/2005 04:15:07 »
One of the worst aspects of islamic fundamentalism or "Wahabism"- named for the ultraconservative Saudi brand of Islam- for me is it's portrayal of women. I remember before 9/11 that there were women's groups in the U.S.A. trying to get our government interested in what the Taliban was doing to the women of Afghanistan. This brand of Islam pretends to want to "protect" women. But instead of concentrating on the vital goal of improving the way men treat women in their nations, they tell women to wrap themselves in cloth from head to toe and never leave home. This is "protection"? No, it is tyrannical abuse of the worse sort. We need to tell the islamic states the truth-that if they are ever to take their rightful places in the family of nations it will be because they finally choose to accept the positive contributions of their women- the half of the population in any nation that has the most sense about most matters.

chris wiegard

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #32 on: 28/08/2005 04:15:07 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums