The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why am I waking up and going to sleep with a high pitched whistle in my chest?  (Read 6892 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
OK All this last week My left shoulder under my arm.. in the pit area and across the top of my shoulders up my neck mostly on the left up that muscle going up behind my right ear has been hurting like crazy .. Upon trying to rise from a sitting or reclined postion the area where your head tips back on your shoulders experiences very intence sharp pain and if I try to lay my head backward like when you roll your neck to exercise.. It really hurts up into the back ear area.. but it hurts being still too, it is somewhat less intense today but is still there,

Also for the last three days I wake up with a high pitched whistle almost coming from my chest on the exhale... and it sound like it of course tappers off in a kind of vibrating way but not whispy until the end! When I had the pnemonia it was more this raspy wheeze, but this sounds like a whistle almost like an leaky Pvc valve in a car!! It is causing a small deep cough but only once or twice all day..

I have a appointment Tuesday with my Doctor for test results etc.. Do You think this can wait or is it not worth mentioning at all... I do not want to go unnecessarily if I can help it...

I am not sick by the way I feel decent other then right now.. Just been extremely tired and my whole neck area has been hurting for quite a while...not a sore throat hurt.. muscle neck thingy..

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 19/07/2009 09:10:42 by Karen W. »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
... for the last three days I wake up with a high pitched whistle almost coming from my chest on the exhale...my whole neck area has been hurting for quite a while...not a sore throat hurt..

Stridor is a high pitched sound resulting from turbulent air flow in the upper airway. It may be inspiratory (laryngeal problem), expiratory (lower airways problem) or present on both inspiration and expiration (tracheal problem).

Stridor has many different potential causes. It may occur as a result of thyroiditis ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stridor
« Last Edit: 19/07/2009 15:44:29 by RD »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It is just possible to record a heartbeat with this MP3 + Funnel combination ...

Amplifying and filtering the recorded sound with software like Audacity (free) improves the audibility a lot...

If you doctor is far away it would be possible to record the whistling chest sound using the above
type of apparatus and email the sound recording to him/her, (telemedicine style).
« Last Edit: 19/07/2009 21:49:07 by RD »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
thanks RD My thyroid is feeling a bit big especially on the right side...
 Thats interesting.. I might try that for my Doctor!
« Last Edit: 20/07/2009 04:19:29 by Karen W. »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
thanks RD My thyroid is feeling a bit bigespecially on the right side...
 Thats interesting.. I might try that for my Doctor!

Hope ewe feel better soon Kareny Mam !

Consider how lucky ewe are though, lots of people can't whistle at all !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Well I feel ok... thanks.

I am one of those people
who cannot whistle!

So I am honored that I can now do it automatically
upon exhale. Lol...
Thanks Neily!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Well the whistle is gone and the doc says she thinks I am getting sick.. and to come back in if it starts up again...

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length