The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Will future Human civilizations mine plastic?  (Read 3750 times)

Offline HankRearden

• View Profile
Will future Human civilizations mine plastic?
« on: 19/07/2009 23:33:54 »
So, we mine minerals and ores at the moment because we cannot artificially create them, and we find them in large deposits. Couldn't there be a civilizations say, 15,000 years from now after modern western society has died out, that mines are huge deposits of plastic and uses them like we use metal?
« Last Edit: 14/08/2009 10:04:17 by chris »

Ethos

Re: Will future Human civilizations mine plastic?
« Reply #1 on: 20/07/2009 01:20:12 »
So, we mine minerals and ores at the moment because we cannot artificially create them, and we find them in large deposits. Couldn't there be a civilizations say, 15,000 years from now after modern western society has died out, that mines are huge deposits of plastic and uses them like we use metal?
Interesting thought.................

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/07/2009 04:49:08 »
Use them to do what for example?

Offline HankRearden

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20/07/2009 12:46:26 »
Like say they've discovered that plastic becomes pliable when heated and as such they heat shards of it over a fire, and warp them into bowls.

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/07/2009 13:49:55 »
Every so often, the waste industry comes up with "landfill mining" of one sort or another.  A good contemporary example is blast furnace slag being used (depending on its physical/ chemical properties) as a lightweight aggregate, concrete additive; agricultural purposes and even in the manufacture of glass.  Old coal tips and mineral tailings dams have also been processed to remove valuable materials.

There is no reason why plastic could not be mined (alongside glass and other inert material) from landfills in the far future particularly when the waste has fully broken down and no longer producing gas.  I guess the difficulty would be that simply melting differnt types of plastic together makes a fairly limited material with variable properties.  From direct experience most older landfills consist of a dark grey/black  poorly differentiated goo...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 21/07/2009 13:49:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length