The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can two objects move apart at faster than the speed of light?  (Read 4087 times)

Offline AllenG

• View Profile
If two objects are launched in opposite directions from a central point and they are traveling from the point of origin at 3/4C how fast are they traveling away from one another?
« Last Edit: 23/07/2009 21:07:27 by chris »

Ethos

If two objects are launched in opposite directions from a central point and they are traveling from the point of origin at 3/4C how fast are they traveling away from one another?
If I'm not mistaken, their relative speed would be 186,282 miles/sec.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
In relativity velocities don't add, you can't write V = v1 + v2. The correct formula instead is:

V = (v1 + v2)/(1 + v1*v2/c2)

So, if  v1 = v2 = (3/4)c, for example, you have:

[(3/4)c + (3/4)c]/[1 + (9/16)] = (3/2)c/(25/16) = (24/25)c = 0.96c

Offline Stefanb

• View Profile
In relativity velocities don't add, you can't write V = v1 + v2. The correct formula instead is:

V = (v1 + v2)/(1 + v1*v2/c2)

So, if  v1 = v2 = (3/4)c, for example, you have:

[(3/4)c + (3/4)c]/[1 + (9/16)] = (3/2)c/(25/16) = (24/25)c = 0.96c
Can you explain how you got that formula? Or why that is the case in relativity? I would like to know :)

lyner

If you start with the premise that the speed of light appears to be the same for all observers then the Lorentz formula applies for all measurements of relative velocities. The basis for relativity is that there is no 'preferred frame of reference'. We don't exist on a piece of 3D graph paper which defines where we are, how fast we're going and in what direction. All motion and position is relative to the observer.
Look at this link if you want the details; it tells you 'why'. Otherwise you just have to accept what lightarrow was telling you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_relativity

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Can you explain how you got that formula? Or why that is the case in relativity? I would like to know :)
As sophiecentaur implicitly wrote, it's not so immediate, if you don't know relativity very much. From the two postulates of relativity (1. light' speed doesn't depend on the light source's speed; 2. the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference) you can get the lorentz equations for a boost (= rectilinear movement) along the x direction:

x' = γ(x-v*t)
y' = y
z' = z
t' = γ(t-x*v/c2)

then you derive x' with respect to t' and find the velocity of the object in the prime frame of reference and then you relate dx/dt to that velocity.

If you are interested in the detailed computations...when I come back home, after my holidays :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length