The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Did Daughty Ruin CD By Keeping It On Pause For Hours ?  (Read 4102 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Peeps Who Know So Much !

Daughty was playing some music then  got called away and forgot that her system was on pause !

Here it is :

Daughtys Un-paused Cd System Earlier Today

Did she do any harm to the disc ? or the player by keeping it on pause for so long ?

..also....how does it pause the music anyway ?..
the disc is still spinning when it's paused !!

I went and asked both my cats and they just licked their bits !..I asked them because they have paws !!...so...I figured that naturally they'd be authorities !
clearly they are not !...so..no luck there !!

Hope ewe can help me cipher the pausing nature of a cd player !!

hugs & shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !!

neil
CD's In A Seedy world
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline exton

• View Profile
Did Daughty Ruin CD By Keeping It On Pause For Hours ?
« Reply #1 on: 20/07/2009 20:24:26 »
Did she do any harm to the disc ? or the player by keeping it on pause for so long ?

Probably not. Nothing is actually touching the CD when it plays (or pauses), and continuous spinning doesn't hurt it.
But there's an easy way to find out: try playing the cd. If it still works fine, then there's nothing wrong with it.

..also....how does it pause the music anyway ?..the disc is still spinning when it's paused !!

The CD player remembers the location on the disc of the music that it was playing; when you press the play button after pausing it, it goes right back to doing what it was doing before you paused it.

Offline Pumblechook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/07/2009 21:06:34 »
My machine keeps spinning.  I don't know whether the laser remains powered??   I never seen any warnings about this.  If there was damage you would expect it play ok until it reached the part where it was paused and then the sound would break up or something.

lyner

« Reply #3 on: 20/07/2009 22:17:36 »
The CD reading is non-contact - unlike VCR, which, if left on pause for long, can wipe a whole field out.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/07/2009 23:10:12 »

I will have to remember that..
I have paused vcr's many times for long periods and some machines automatically un-pause after a selected factory preselected period of time.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21/07/2009 06:53:25 »
Ha! I didn't even notice this happening until just then.
Does a disk keep spinning computers? No right?

Offline Cornasdf

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/07/2009 09:08:14 »
Generally, a computer cd will only spin up when a read is requested. Because there is some spin up time, most drivers will leave the cd spinning for some amount of time (10 seconds or so?) after the last read. This avoids the spin up time for a subsequent read if the read is coming quickly (this is much like the http keepalive time on a web server). Even when playing music, rather than reading as it plays (or a short buffer ahead), a computer reads in bursts, you can watch the cd light for the reads.

Hth
Ej

Offline Pumblechook

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21/07/2009 09:49:41 »
My CD deffo keeps spinning. It has a clear plastic top.

Wensites say the laser stays on but some machines shut it down if it is on pause for a long time. 

The general view is that the laser is too weak to do any damage.

There has been cases of CDs being damaged by heat in a machine.

lyner

« Reply #8 on: 21/07/2009 12:16:50 »
A CD player is different from a CD drive in a computer. (although the modern CDmachines also play computer files)
An audio CD is formatted with very little structure and one track is only accessed by its beginning location. If you stop it when paused, I think it will lose where it is.
A computer CD is structured / formatted for random access like a floppy or hard disc. You can run it down any time and then find where you were, or any other block of data.
Block formatting wastes space so you can't get as much real data on a computer formatted disc. The audio CD suits audio but would be a bit like using a compact cassette for computer files. Remember the days of the BBC micro and the cassette loading?
« Last Edit: 21/07/2009 12:26:42 by sophiecentaur »

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #9 on: 25/07/2009 12:38:49 »
A CD player is non-contact and the laser is quite weak, so pausing a CD should not cause any damage. If something is warped and/or the CD not seated properly so it scuffs some plastic as it spins, then clearly it could scratch - but this would be a fault-condition rather than normal behaviour.

Look at the non-label (silver) side of the CD carefully. Is there any sign of scratching? Hold it up to the light - can you see any pin-pricks of light coming through (this would indicate the label/recorded side is scratched/damaged).

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 25/07/2009 12:38:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums