The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Hair problem. Guy  (Read 2708 times)

Offline richrich17

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hair problem. Guy
« on: 21/07/2009 00:49:01 »
I always used to shampoo my hair. With nothing special, just an ordin ary shampoo.
About 5 months ago i tried to correct my poofy hair. The problem being it looks awful on my face, ESPECIALLY at the sides were unluckierly it's the worst

First i tried dying my hair with some simple garnier thinking it need to be brighter haha. Didn't do anything

Second i brought American crew Moistursing shampoo and conditioner, i started shampooing every 3-4 days and using conditioner every day. It kidn of worked, but i gel my hair etc, and it got greasy and full of product i had to wash it.

Thirdly I tried different drying techniques. Leaving it to dry, towler drying, patting it dry, blow drying all made it still go poofy and dry and ****.
Fourthly i tried cutting my hair scisscor cut and get it thinned out
all to no avail

Fith i tried Aussie range of products, A mosturizing shampoo, conditioner, 3 minute Anti friz z miracle and anti-frizz conditoning milk.

I used these products. Some days i shampoo use 3 minute anti frizz. Then use milk. other days i just use conditioner. I haven't used them much apart from conditioner. But still my hair remains frizzy.

It's bad because the night i wash my hair, the next day I can't gel/.style it good and i have 7/8 differen products, vo5, garnier, shockwave etc.

I really stuck on where to go from here. After trying all these things and combining. One thing i found out is i was asking my step dad and his hair is pretty flat how i want it, he says his hair drys in about 10 minutes on its own.

My hair takes over an hour maybe more to dry on its own. quicker at sides because it's a little bit shorter(haircut)

My hair is short, about 2 inches. It is fairly thick, when washed it goes thinner it seems.

My conclusion is that I need to still find right shampoo to use or something not loads of seperate ones OR my hair just doesnt lock in moisture, seeming it takes ages to dry, and then when it goes it goes fluffy.

Offline Chelsie

• View Profile
Hair problem. Guy
« Reply #1 on: 21/07/2009 01:19:22 »
Unfortunately shampoos and other products don't always work depending on your hair type. Is your hair slight curly or wavy by any chance? If not, can you give me a better idea of how your hair looks and feels?

If your hair is slightly wavy or curly this is due to your genetics and hair products alone will not work. What you could try is using a hot hair iron. Hair irons straighten hair by modifying and breaking down your hair's protein bonds. People with curly hair have very ridged bonding which causes hair to be kinky. When you apply extreme heat with the straightener, the bonds are broken and the pulling action of working the hot iron through your hair straightens it out. New bonds reform which are less ridged and your hair will look and feel smoother. However, as soon as your hair gets wet, the original bonds will reform and your hair will go back to it's frizzy states. If you don't get your hair wet, it should stay straight for a few days after you straighten it. Be aware that most straighteners won't do any good if you are constantly exposed to high humidity. So if you live in a place like Florida there isn't much you can do for your hair.
« Last Edit: 21/07/2009 01:34:36 by Chelsie »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Hair problem. Guy
« Reply #2 on: 21/07/2009 07:16:27 »
Become a skinhead or even a slaphead! That should sort your problem.

JB & Terry Hall (aka Buster Bloodvessel)of ska revival group Bad Manners.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Hair problem. Guy
« Reply #3 on: 21/07/2009 09:13:24 »
Sounds like you are trying to achieve some sort of fashion that does not fit with the way your hair grows naturally.  Forget fashion it is a load of rubbish. Find a simple style that suits your character (a good sylist can help with this) and stick to it.

Offline richrich17

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hair problem. Guy
« Reply #4 on: 21/07/2009 13:25:14 »
Unfortunately shampoos and other products don't always work depending on your hair type. Is your hair slight curly or wavy by any chance? If not, can you give me a better idea of how your hair looks and feels?

If your hair is slightly wavy or curly this is due to your genetics and hair products alone will not work. What you could try is using a hot hair iron. Hair irons straighten hair by modifying and breaking down your hair's protein bonds. People with curly hair have very ridged bonding which causes hair to be kinky. When you apply extreme heat with the straightener, the bonds are broken and the pulling action of working the hot iron through your hair straightens it out. New bonds reform which are less ridged and your hair will look and feel smoother. However, as soon as your hair gets wet, the original bonds will reform and your hair will go back to it's frizzy states. If you don't get your hair wet, it should stay straight for a few days after you straighten it. Be aware that most straighteners won't do any good if you are constantly exposed to high humidity. So if you live in a place like Florida there isn't much you can do for your hair.

Well im 17. My hair is done 2 round the sides, scissor. Only one time when I've had it scissor it stayed flat, normally I have to really but wax on the side of my hair to hold it down.

My hair is brown, 2 inches long, 1.5 round the sides roughly. It is at my neck still, my hair isn't long. I have a heart shaphed face, i.e fullness at the crown looks bad, and my hair looks much fulle rthan it is, all poofy. So my pper face looks even bigger, making my face look even more like a stuck out thumb. It isn't wavy or curly, it's pretty much straight. I'm going on holiday soon, and I'm going in and out the sea, I don't want to have to put a tub of wax on my hair to get it to stay down.
 I just used some american crew conditioner now after a shower. Patted dry my hair, and BANG, frizzy volumized mop :@.
I have put some aussie miracle Anti-frizz + conditioning milk, it never really works in the past.

My hair when not washed, or got wet is FLAT, fairly THICK and soft and a nice BROWN colour.
My hair when washed with water, conditioner, or shampoo. is Volumized, Poofy but soft and a Lighter brown. Hair at sides sticks out a bit.

My hairstyle. I don't really have one,a nd i'm not following a fashion because my hair seems different every day haha. I just want it flat on sides especially, and then not volumized and poofy. So i can wear it flat, or do a messy look, and not trying to flatten it to make it less volumized then style it.
« Last Edit: 21/07/2009 13:55:11 by richrich17 »

Offline MonikaS

• View Profile
Hair problem. Guy
« Reply #5 on: 21/07/2009 16:02:09 »
Looks like you need to spend some money on a good stylist. S/he can help you with a good hair cut and finding the right products. The cut makes a huge difference, it might cost you a few more bucks, but it's worth it.
A friend of mine is a master hairstylist. (Cheap and excellent hair cuts for me WOOOHOOO.) He told me, without being able to see and touch your hair, that you'll most likely will need your hair cut shorter to reduce the volume, or to let it grow longer, so that the hairs own weight will keep it down.

lyner

Hair problem. Guy
« Reply #6 on: 21/07/2009 16:09:08 »
]I think you may get more useful advice on hairstyles.com, or somesuch.
There's more aesthetics than Science involved with your query. It may cost you but a hairdresser can help you in several ways if you are not happy with your image.
People may saturate you with 'facts' here!

Offline Edster

• View Profile
Hair problem. Guy
« Reply #7 on: 21/07/2009 23:07:18 »
Like sophiecentaur I am a little bemused at the lack of a science related query IE:
How do hair straightening preparations work?
What does a hair "conditioner" actually do to my hair?

Why is my hair curlier/less curly depending on the humidty?

Would be questions in the spirit of this site as I perceive it.

I do agree with an earlier post that to make your hair condition more of a constant you should address some of the variables to limit the scope of the experiment, a #1 would I feel be a sound initial condition for one of them. :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

Hair problem. Guy
« Reply #7 on: 21/07/2009 23:07:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums