The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Hypnotism  (Read 9616 times)

jojo

• View Profile
Re: Hypnotism
« Reply #25 on: 16/11/2003 05:32:59 »
hmm thats interesting.. im gonna try that 'there's no need for that sensation anymore' one. :) tnx

jojo

bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17/11/2003 08:48:11 »
Actually, couldn't figure out any time whatsoever that I would have a need for motion sickness.

Bezoar

GlacierBlue

• View Profile
    • http://www20.brinkster.com/katielexi
« Reply #27 on: 26/11/2003 22:47:52 »
Motion sickness is the inner ears response to any number of things such as a shift in perception or a drop from a height. The inner ear sends this message not to "make you sick" as some tell it, but rather to alert you to your surroundings. If you removed the delicate balance mechanism you would be unable to walk in the dark, walk on uneven ground and catch yourself before you fall.

If the multi-verse is a real construct then in some universe Im your God.

sean milford

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13/07/2004 11:34:51 »
This hypnotist tony lee you're talking about came to our uni but was cancelled as he was apparently not allowed to work here as a hypnotist as he had no public liability insurance as required by law in the uk and no work permit. And someone also complained that the contents of his act didnt not comply with the hypnotism act in UK. He apparently needed to apply for a licence from the local council but didnt.

sean milford

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13/07/2004 11:35:41 »
This hypnotist tony lee you're talking about came to our uni but was cancelled as he was apparently not allowed to work here as a hypnotist as he had no public liability insurance as required by law in the uk and no work permit. And someone also complained that the contents of his act didnt not comply with the hypnotism act in UK. He apparently needed to apply for a licence from the local council but didnt.

matrixer

• View Profile
    • http://www.msn.com
« Reply #30 on: 12/09/2004 18:41:27 »
oh amazing but a "BIG JOCK"! yah maybe it works but i dont think so coz i dont have seen it yet and maybe not coz i think it dont works if it was then firstly i ll use it on my parrots coz they fly away from me i want them sitting on my hands...very sleepy..!!!

algol

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18/10/2004 03:17:48 »
Hello everybody, a new persons first post here.

I came in to look at this forum in the hope of finding some scepticism.  I was a full-time stage hypnotist for over a decade and, whilst it is true that you can use the technique to get strangers to do unlikely seeming things, the bottom line nowadays agreed by most scientists is that there is no such thing as a state of "hypnosis".

The best single book on the topic is "Hypnosis, Compliance and Belief" by Graham Wagstaff.

I know people who have been hypnotised will contradict me, but so they should: to "be hypnotised" is to fall for the illusion of "hypnosis" just like we fall for the illusion of magic when we see a good card trick.

chris

• The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #32 on: 18/10/2004 07:53:51 »
Welcome algol

We're currently finalising the arrangements to get a psychologist who is an expert on hypnosis to come and talk about his research into the subject on the radio. His view is very similar to that you have set out above. Namely that, in the context of stage hypnosis, people are social animals and want to please. They therefore indulge the stage hypnotist's whim in order to avoid upsetting him.

What do you do now ?

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

SMF 2.0 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines