The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can we survive Global Capitalism?  (Read 2893 times)

Offline coberst

• View Profile
Can we survive Global Capitalism?
« on: 21/07/2009 21:33:17 »

There are negative feedback control systems such as a furnace/thermostat or our own bodies.  There are positive feedback control systems such as an ordinary fire or our capitalistic economic system.

In a fire the higher the temperature the faster the fuel is burned; the faster the fuel burns the higher goes the temperature.  In a business enterprise it is common practice to put a percentage of profit into advertising.  More advertising creates greater sales, which mean higher profit.

A negative feedback system seeks out equilibrium; a positive feedback system has no equilibrium and is ever accelerating.

If we have a positive feedback system, such as capitalism being now abetted by Globalism, we face the horrendous situation that the greater the progress the faster the spiral of destruction when considering that the world and humans are negative feedback systems.

If we choose to continue with our present global/capitalistic program we must find a way to dampen the positive feedback system.

Biologists, and probably other sciences, inform us that human conceit, i.e. human ego, distorts our ability to comprehend our self.  Egocentricities motivate us into irrational behavior thereby imperiling our survival; the human animal is arrogant and dangerous.  Mark Twain was told that “man is the noblest work of God” to which he replied “Now, who found that out?”

Bernard James, author of “The Death of Progress” argues that perhaps a new moral order might be the solution to acquiring the means to avoid self-extinction.  He argues that creation is a function of life.  It is inventive acts that govern the evolution and survival requirements of human and ecosystems.

I suggest that we must find a new formula for the encouragement of creativity directed at this monumental problem.  This is a problem that demands quick action and it seems to me that we cannot wait several generations for this to be accomplished.  Today’s adults must recognize the problem and must energetically seek a solution.  I think that an invigorated self-actualization through self-learning by adults is required.  I am not talking about more schooling.  Schooling has left us learning-handicapped already.  This effort must be self-learning.  Adults must begin a concentrated effort toward developing an intellectual life far beyond that which now exists.

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21/07/2009 22:13:59 »
why is this in General discussion and feedback???
Since when has there ever been any general discussion on on of Coberst's threads?? One gets copied and pasted to death!

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/07/2009 20:58:55 »
Coberst, have you been into a school recently. Modern schooling in Britain has Infants learning about childrens rights and pupils of all ages becoming global ambassadors. All schools in Britain are now required to have a link with a school in another country and community cohesion is a top priority in education policy. Sustainable schools are following an 8 doorways path which includes global citizenship. We are not going to hell in a hand cart. Not if I have anything to do with it.

Offline coberst

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/07/2009 21:30:02 »
Coberst, have you been into a school recently. Modern schooling in Britain has Infants learning about childrens rights and pupils of all ages becoming global ambassadors. All schools in Britain are now required to have a link with a school in another country and community cohesion is a top priority in education policy. Sustainable schools are following an 8 doorways path which includes global citizenship. We are not going to hell in a hand cart. Not if I have anything to do with it.

I know only about American educational systems.  My last formal education was in 1971.  However I have 5 children and 7 grandchildren so I have knowledge of current conditions.

If I am correct all civilization is headed for the abyss.  We have created a technology that places extrordinary power into the hands of ordinary people.  These people lack the intellectual sophistication to mange such a situation.
« Last Edit: 22/07/2009 21:32:17 by coberst »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #4 on: 23/07/2009 13:38:58 »

I know only about American educational systems.  My last formal education was in 1971.  However I have 5 children and 7 grandchildren so I have knowledge of current conditions.

If I am correct all civilization is headed for the abyss.  We have created a technology that places extrordinary power into the hands of ordinary people.  These people lack the intellectual sophistication to mange such a situation.

I bet your grandchildren love coming to see their Grandpapy! Pessimistic grumpy old g**.

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24/07/2009 05:22:49 »
Now now boy, settle.

Offline coberst

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24/07/2009 13:39:35 »

Now, back to the OP.

A recession in American capitalism is two quarters when the GDP is negative.  Generally speaking tomorrow's GDP must be greater than yesterday's GDP or the system dies.  When GDP goes up the rate of planet consumption goes up; the stored resources of the planet then go down.

The logic of global capitalism leads to the consumption of the planet.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 24/07/2009 13:39:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums