The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Was I misdiagnosed--Pancreatitis or Kidney Stone?  (Read 16180 times)

Offline AllenG

• View Profile
I spent the weekend in the hospital and I think they got my diagnoses wrong.

41 year old caucasian male, 70.3 kg, had sudden pain in my right flank.
Cholecystectomy 12 years ago, cholesterol normal. Lipase was elevated to 360 (back to normal on the second day--when a second blood test was conducted), other enzymes normal (and I had a bacon cheese burger for my last meal). Hematuria, but not evident to the eye.
After admission to the ER I began to vomit to the point of dry heaves, after I was given morphine (and I'm sensitive to opiates--I always vomit on them).
{edit} And why the doctors are most likely correct and it was idiopathic acute pancreatitis, stones were not evident in the CAT scan.

The pain came on suddenly, was located in my right flank (right kidney) and went through to the front.
I had trouble urinating and when I finally did it was cloudy. This was not long after the pain abated, which when it did it did so somewhat quickly.

I was told I had acute pancreatitis.  I think I had a kidney stone (neither condition have been present before, nor family history of either).
I drink (drank) a crap load of sodas, don't really drink alcohol (I drink maybe a gallon of beer a year), not over weight, no gall bladder--ergo no gall stones, and am sensitive to opiates.

I'm not one to argue with my doctors (a MFA and Wikipedia is good for applying a band-aid and not much else IMO), but in this instance who do y'all think is correct, the layman artist or the properly educated?

Many thanks for helping quell my curiosity,

--Allen
« Last Edit: 21/07/2009 23:17:07 by AllenG »

Offline Chelsie

• View Profile
Re: Was I misdiagnosed--Pancreatitis or Kidney Stone?
« Reply #1 on: 21/07/2009 23:17:06 »
This is semi difficult because your symptoms were somewhat vague which makes it hard to pinpoint exactly what you were suffering from. However, I can tell you that some of your signs and symptoms do coincide with kidney stones. These include your urinary problems followed by cloudy urine. The pain in your kidney region is an obvious sign, however the extent of your pain doesn't sound as sever as most kidney stone sufferers. The fact that you drink a lot of soda means that you have higher than normal caffeine intake. Increased caffeine + male gender = increased risk for kidney stones. I highly recommend that you switch to H20 for a while.

It sound like you may have passed a small stone. Larger stones cause pain comparable to natural child birth which completely disable you until they pass. They also generally have more sever symptoms such as fever, fatigue, blood in urine, etc.

If I were in your situation, I too would suspect that I had a small KS and I would consult with a urologist or nephorologist for further testing. You should also look into changing your diet and decreased your caffeine intake, while increasing water intake.

Remember: It is NEVER a bad idea to get a second opinion if you are even a little suspicious that you received an incorrect diagnosis.
« Last Edit: 21/07/2009 23:20:53 by Chelsie »

Offline AllenG

• View Profile
Was I misdiagnosed--Pancreatitis or Kidney Stone?
« Reply #2 on: 21/07/2009 23:21:25 »
I just edited my post while you were posting.
From:This was not long after the pain abated which it did somewhat quickly. To This was not long after the pain abated, which when it did it did so somewhat quickly.
The pain was impressive.  Much worse than when I had gall bladder problems.
I did have blood in my urine, but it was not evident to the eye.
« Last Edit: 22/07/2009 00:06:50 by AllenG »

Offline AllenG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/07/2009 23:24:18 »
Thanks Chelsie.
I appreciate the input.

Offline Chelsie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/07/2009 23:27:58 »
Sorry, I completely overlooked "Hematuria, but not evident to the eye". Had I considered this before, I would have automatically agreed with you. Blood in urine with kidney pain can be indicative of a whole host of kidney problems but UTI and kidney stones would be the most suspected, especially with your symptoms.

Go get another opinion.
« Last Edit: 21/07/2009 23:30:49 by Chelsie »

Offline AllenG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21/07/2009 23:41:08 »
Thanks again.
Not that I care to have either, but given the long term implications I'll take the kidney stones over a pancreas melting down.

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22/07/2009 22:13:29 »
Hi Allen

Did they mention anything about the pancreatitus on your imaging? I am guessing not from your post but, I wondered if they had said to you that they couldn't see anything wrong with the pancreas.Not that its the primry diagnotic with pancreatitus.
Also, when they did your bloodwork, did they mention nything else other than the elevated lipase??

I'm just a little puzzled when they are making a diagnosis of acute pancreatitus just from (seemingly) one raised lipase serum level and the specific pain and vomiting.Especially if you have had blood in urine and it has been cloudy. I am hoping they have already sent some urine off for UTI testing???

I hope you are feeling better now Allen.  :)

Offline AllenG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22/07/2009 22:22:51 »
Thank you Variola.

No mention about my pancreas being abnormal beyond the elevated lipase.
I think the diagnosis was based on my vomiting, lack of stones being evident in the CAT scan, and the lipase reading.

The blood work came back clean otherwise. 

My layman's opinion is that the lipase was elevated due in part to the cheeseburger and from a sympathetic response to my kidney.
I think the hospitalist put too much faith in the CAT scan and did not consider other factors. 

I have since been to my GP and given a urine sample, and am feeling much better.
If it was my pancreas the cause is very idiopathic, I don't fit the normal causes well at all.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 22/07/2009 22:22:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length