The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: THE FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH  (Read 2859 times)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
THE FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH
« on: 13/08/2005 01:38:37 »
Scientists are trying to find ways to genetically extend our life spans and make us young again.
If they found a way should they be allowed to use such an advancement.
What would happen to the world population if we were all allowed to live to 200,
and could the human brain cope with the extra years.
Should there be limits as to what we do genectically to ourselves once we are born.
These are all question that will have to be answered at some stage, because it may not be long before it becomes possible[?]

Offline memasa

• View Profile
Re: THE FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH
« Reply #1 on: 13/08/2005 08:26:12 »
quote:
If they found a way should they be allowed to use such an advancement.

Yes, for treating that genetic disease which causes a child to age EXTREMELY fast. Tell me the name of it, please.
« Last Edit: 13/08/2005 16:21:47 by memasa »

Offline memasa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/08/2005 08:46:23 »
I found it: disease dyskeratosis congenita (DKC)

Offline memasa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/08/2005 08:52:51 »
[...]Premature Ageing syndromes

My
[Stuart Knight] research has focused on identifying the molecular basis of the human premature ageing syndrome X-linked dyskeratosis congenita (DKC). Our search for the gene was successful resulting in the positional cloning of the DKC1 gene [Nature Genetics 1998: 19, 32-38]. I have subsequently characterised the gene and the range of mutations that cause the disease [American Journal of Human Genetics 1999: 65, 50-58]. Dyskerin, encoded by the DKC1 gene, is a highly conserved nucleolar protein. The protein has a role in the pseudouridination of rRNA and the maintenance of telomere lengths. A defect in telomere maintenance is the most likely cause of the disease [Blood cells Molecules and Disease 2001: 27 353-357].
DKC provides an important link between the well-characterised mechanism of in vitro cellular senescence and whole body ageing. In the absence of telomerase the progressive loss of telomeres results in the triggering of the replicative senescence pathway when telomeres have reached a critically short size. Dyskerin is a component of the telomerase complex and this complex is destabilised in DKC. The premature ageing phenotype of DKC can therefore be directly linked to a defect in the telomerase complex. I am currently developing a broad range of approaches with which to investigate the cellular role of dyskerin.

SOURCE: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kis/schools/life_sciences/life_sci/knightR.html
« Last Edit: 13/08/2005 09:03:00 by memasa »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/08/2005 18:41:44 »
If they did find a fountain of youth that was readily available, I admit I would find it hard to not take it.

There would have to be some legislation regarding procreation  and perhaps if you were to take the potion you wuld have to agree to be sterilsed perhaps !

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 13/08/2005 18:41:44 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums