The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can I send commands to a distant object without a power cable?  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Naufal the B. S.

• View Profile
How can instructions be sent to a distant or remote object but without using a cable?
« Last Edit: 30/07/2009 08:11:11 by chris »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
I think this must be another wireless power transmission question, but that makes it an oxymoron.  Wireless data transmission over > 300km distances is relatively trivial i.e. geo-sats, planetary probes and the Voyager probes.  Arguably, you could consider the images of distant galaxies to be data, for they contain information.  The cost may be another issue though.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
The meaning of my last question,
i don't transmit power, but i give command to far object. Can i make it?

Ah - I think we might be getting there.  Along with your previous post...

If it it connects power supply to destination...
Why the remote control toy and rc device still need power supply?
Do you understand with my question?

You only want to send/receive data but you want the receiver to be powered by the communication stream or by another external power source.  One thing I can think of that works like this are passive RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) tags.  These are short range devices that contain a small and simple radio frequency transceiver but no internal power supply.  Instead they get their power to operate via inductance, by being in the presence of a suitable electromagnetic field.

Because the tag obtains its power from the field its range is limited by the size and strength of the powering field, hence being short range devices.

Alternatively, you could look into Microwave Power Transmission (MPT).  This technique was used to power a remotely controlled test aircraft as part of the Stationary High Altitude Relay Platform (SHARP) project.  See:

http://www.friendsofcrc.ca/Projects/SHARP/sharp.html

Offline Naufal the B. S.

• View Profile
Ok... I'll close this thread.
Thanks a lot.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums