The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Hyperelasticity of the Skin (Stretchy Skin)  (Read 3410 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Hyperelasticity of the Skin (Stretchy Skin)
« on: 15/08/2005 21:59:29 »
Is this quite a common condition ?...does it cause any obvious problems ? ie: increased sensitivity ! it generally localised to a particular part of the body ?

Stretch my imagination and expand my knowledge...thanks

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Razor

• View Profile
Re: Hyperelasticity of the Skin (Stretchy Skin)
« Reply #1 on: 20/08/2005 17:57:11 »
Ahh......Hyperelastic skin, also known as India Rubber skin (lol:)), my teacher briefly talked about this before summer holiday.
There's some information about this stuff on, it talks about a patient with this syndrome that's being examined on the website but to point out the obvious problems, it causes skin to be easily bruised, heal poorly, form "cigarette paper" scars, and joints that are unusually flexible (hyperflexible/hypermobile).

Hyperelasticity of the skin occurs as a result of the production of abnormal collagen fibers.
Collagen is a fibrous, insoluble protein that makes up much of the body's connective tissue.
A common cause of hyperelastic skin is Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.
Other diseases that may cause easily stretchable skin include Marfan syndrome, pseudoxanthoma elasticum, osteogenesis imperfecta, cutis laxa, cutaneous T-cell lymphoma, and sun-related changes of older skin.

I dont consider it as a common nor rare condition, but just something some people get blessed/cursed with! (lol:))

"We apologize for the error in last week's paper
In which we stated that Mr. Arnold Dogbody was a defective in the police force. We meant, of course, that Mr. Dogbody is a detective in the police farce."
-Correction notice in the Ely Standard, a British newspaper

For those who havenít seen this yet, it's a must view!!!!

For Dodge Viper Fans.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Hyperelasticity of the Skin (Stretchy Skin)
« Reply #1 on: 20/08/2005 17:57:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums